Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Stencil Buffer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HolBol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. HolBol

HolBol

Just reading over the 4.6 beta patch notes, and suddenly :

Also known as YAY.

angrypenguin likes this.
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yay. Well that's one piece of more than 10-year-old technology sorted out, now just for those render textures ;D

Actually you can do some kinda cool stuff with the stencil buffer, beyond just masking.

bluescrn likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

I TAKE BACK LITERALLY EVERYTHING BAD I HAVE EVER SAID ABOUT UNITY EVER.

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

What about stuff like for hair shading :)

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hair shading? Isn't that typically just a shader with Kajiya-Kay or somesuch shading model? (i.e. does not need Pro)

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

My guess is they mean something like GPU particles for hair shading, ie TressFX. Which is even more confusing because that's something you can do in Free too, as long as you're targeting DX11.

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I mean when I use alphas for hair, and I don't want to use AlphaTest because it looks unnatural. I would hope transparent surfaces would cast shadows properly... and plus clip maps don't use the full range of the alpha.

8. Breyer

Breyer

So, now as i understand, uGUI is fully free ;) previously Unity said that stencil-related features in uGUI (but was small part though) will be PRO-only. I glad that they decide to make uGUI fully free.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Here's what I want to use the stencil buffer for. I want to test against the radius of a sphere and cull everything inside that sphere. Can I do this in Free?

10. HolBol

HolBol

It says the stencil buffer access is now free.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

...Yes.

I know.

But I want to know if I can accomplish this specific thing with the stencil buffer.

edit:

This is an effect I was previously handling in an alpha clip shader, but handling it with stencil buffers would be better, I think. If it's possible.

12. tatoforever

tatoforever

It's possible yes (doing stencil depthtesting operations).
    Edited: I mean "depth test" (not ztest).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Deleted User likes this.
  13. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Not sure that is actually possible with stencils, i'm unsure exactly how you could fill the stencil to get that exact effect, at least for the top part, not sure what is going on at the bottom.

For example if you rendered a sphere with a stencil value and then excluded a cube where-ever the sphere was rendered it would not generate the same results as the sphere is solid so you would only get the corners of the cube. I guess rendering 6 circles with stencil on each side of the cube should work, but that doesn't seem to be much of an elegant solution, its essentially doing the same as your single shader solution, but with increased rendering operations, increased meshes.It may give a small performance boost, but I wouldn't count on it for that simple example.

If you want to explore it though, check out the project in my sig that was designed to show off using the stencil buffer. Its a bit dated now and was only tested with pro, but it should still work.

14. lmbarns

lmbarns

Not stencil buffer but you can easily do that with a depth mask and Unity free, and it performs well on mobile... http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=DepthMask

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

There's not much special going on there. I'm just rendering backfaces on the mesh:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...er/WebPlayerRainFall3/WebPlayerRainFall3.html

16. Alkanine9

Alkanine9

bool aprilFoolsJoke = false;
    bool reliableSource = true;
    bool checkedMyself = true;

void Start() {
    if(!aprilFoolsJoke && reliableSource && checkedMyself) {
    party();
    }
    }

void party() {
    Application.LoadLevel("clubhouse");
    }

Ostwind, 8bitCartridge and HolBol like this.
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :D :D :D LOL!

This is the best thing i've heard all day! BTW, not April, ye fool! (Pun entirely intended! ;))