Search Unity

Games Stellar Conquest

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by stonstad, Apr 2, 2023.

1. stonstad

stonstad

Hello! I am thrilled to present my game, Stellar Conquest. A heartfelt thank you to the entire Unity forum community for generously sharing your technical knowledge, which has been instrumental in propelling the project forward.

Stellar Conquest
    Embark on a journey to conquer the galaxy in Stellar Conquest, a multiplayer strategy sandbox set in a procedurally generated universe. Build starships, space stations, and colonies to thrive and compete in a universe filled with endless possibility.

Social Media
    Twitter

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    adamgolden and shadowsoflight like this.
  2. stonstad

stonstad

Concept

shadowsoflight likes this.
  3. stonstad

stonstad

Features

4. stonstad

stonstad

Generative AI

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    koirat and shadowsoflight like this.
  5. stonstad

stonstad

6. stonstad

stonstad

Tech Stack

• Client: Unity 2022.2, Built-In Pipeline, WebSockets
    • Server: NET 7.0, WebAPI, WebSockets
    • Cloud: Azure App Services (Linux), SQL Azure, Azure Blob

7. stonstad

stonstad

I'm looking forward to sharing how generative AI, beyond NPCs, is being used. Will reply soon with videos!

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

wow, everything looks amazing // 10 rating, etc etc . . . :) :eek:

stonstad likes this.
  9. stonstad

stonstad

GPT multiplayer news coverage is now live! An AI news editor summarizes pivotal multiplayer events. Updates are shared through the game, official website, and social media (screenshots above). :)

10. shadowsoflight

shadowsoflight

This looks amazing. I've always wanted to push the boundaries of procedural generation in sci-fi, and this does just that. The pitch is very well put-together!

Are you easily able to swap out for new versions of GPT during development? I assume the API won't change too much, though the behaviour changes might get in the way. It'll be interesting to see what you can do with the data collected during gameplay, as well.

I am very interested to hear more about the event-driven score. I'm trying to push my compositional skills further into the adaptive realm, and bring somewhat of a procedural generation lens on top of that.

11. stonstad

stonstad

I appreciate the kind words!

As of now, GPT 3.5 (ChatGPT) is the only version I have used for generative content. I do supply several hundred tokens worth of background and instruction for each NPC interaction which keeps the output on point. By allowing ChatGPT to generate questions and answers all at once, I avoid the NPC breaking character due to content moderation restrictions.

It is a simple design that works well enough to actually be good.

Every few seconds the local star system is evaluated to determine threat level. This threat level drives selection of a musical theme (e.g. faction melody, drone, exploration, danger). The music cross-fades to a track selected from the theme, but only introduces a single layer (i.e. melody, base or drums) at a time.

The game tracks intensity events. Intensity events are things like ... the player has kicked in afterburners, a weapon has fired, an enemy ship jumps in, etc.

When an intensity event fires an additional musical track is layered on. After a few events the music is playing with all layers in sync. This works very well for tracks that are divided into melody, instruments, base, and drums.

After a predetermined amount of time passes without an intensity event (i.e. 25 seconds) a layer/track drops off through a smooth fade.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your music in Series Reurrecta. Do you think it would be difficult to separate one of the scores in the soundtrack into separate MP3 layers as described above? I could try loading the tracks in the game and share a demonstration video of how it is working.

12. shadowsoflight

shadowsoflight

That makes sense! Generating all at once will provide better consistency and stability.

I have actually been trying to implement something that has a bit of overlap, using the FPS Microgame as a starting point.

I've generated three tracks for an asset pack I'm hoping to release - each track has a "Low Threat" layer with possible melody, "High Threat Layer" with possible melody, and "Battle" layer. They can fade in and out based on triggers - in the demo I made, the battle track in particular ramps up when the player clicks their mouse button, and holds for 5 seconds without a Mouse0 down before dropping off again. (The rest are location-based) I originally implemented this in FMOD, but when I found out that FMOD is not supported in WebGL I made some of my own scripts instead. The tracks themselves are more in the cyberpunk genre.

Yeah I would be happy to prep something for you! I'll DM you and we can work out details, especially to make sure I understand which track has the best elements, and which components it should be split into.

13. stonstad

stonstad

14. stonstad

stonstad

https://twitter.com/ShaunTonstad/status/1701705620343361859

Version 1.0.23 released.
    • Feature Introduced blueprint designer for crafting unique starships, stations, and buildings.
    • Feature Added sixty-seven voxel shapes for blueprint creation.
    • Feature Enabled voxelization import to streamline creation of blueprints from existing 3d models.
    • Feature Introduced a user interface for easy selection of player emotes.
    • Feature Added an ownership UI to show which faction or player territory ownership.
    • Enhancement Improved navigation waypoints with improved user interface.
    • Enhancement Eliminated heap memory allocations in client and server network code.
    • Fix Resolved an issue which could cause phantom gamepad input on systems with virtualization enabled.
    • Fix Fixed an issue which could prevent starship callsigns from appearing.
    • Fix Addressed an issue which prevented AI defender strategies from working as expected.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  15. stonstad

stonstad

Version 1.0.35 released.
    https://stellarconquest.com/changes

Stellar's colony management system is greatly improved! Planet habitability, population morale, and resource management are important aspects of growing a successful colony.

upload_2023-12-1_6-58-6.jpeg

Stellar is up and running on Xbox. This is a first step, and additional work is needed to make it fully playable and ready for certification.

The new construction system is evolving based on player feedback! There are now 67 unique parts for the construction of starships, stations, and buildings.

upload_2023-12-1_6-57-43.jpeg

upload_2023-12-1_6-57-50.jpeg

Players choose an NPC first officer to accompany them across the galaxy. Discharged crew members retain memories of prior events.

upload_2023-12-1_6-57-30.jpeg

Finally! Stellar's new user interface is vector-based, the opposite of rasterization. It will look crisp on any device at any resolution.

upload_2023-12-1_6-57-13.jpeg

More updates and details on X: Shaun Tonstad (@ShaunTonstad) / X (twitter.com)

Cheers,
    Shaun

16. stonstad

stonstad

Latest features!

Star System Maps woot!
    upload_2023-12-14_15-54-1.jpeg

Interstellar Market
    upload_2023-12-14_15-55-46.jpeg

koirat likes this.
  17. developer3244

developer3244

This seems a good game with a pretty large world. The name is "stellar conquest", im going to search it and play later. Im needing a good game to play, im a game developer that almost never plays, so... (imagine you beating "no man's sky" record of largest world lol)

18. stonstad

stonstad

Hey Dev,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really excited about what comes next. Millions of blocks rendered at 60 FPS, with every building, space station, and starship created and managed by players.

Attached Files:

19. stonstad

stonstad

The end result and performance many vary, but this is where things are currently at in terms of scale and performance. This is a 200,000 block blueprint, which is the largest size currently allowed in the game.

upload_2024-3-13_10-27-53.png

20. TenShotsOneKill

TenShotsOneKill

Love the visuals, the UIs seems very well put together and easy to follow. Character models currently look a little out of place; almost like two different art styles (imported models?). Seems like this game has lots of potential and cool features! Great work!

stonstad likes this.
  21. stonstad

stonstad

You're right about competing art styles - it bothers me, too! I wanted to see if someone commented on it, to confirm my thoughts.

22. developer3244

developer3244

Sorry for long time no see, is hard for me to have free time in my xbox (and i usually dont want too). I searched the game in my xbox, but i didnt found the game. I found "Stelarris", "Stellar Sphere", and similar named games, but didnt found nothing :( i also visited your game site (and the home page is pretty empty too...), and didnt found nothing usefull.

If i didnt found the game on my black gaming box, there is a pc version? if not, why i cant find it on xbox?

Well an almost endless world, and an endless endless world generator may break some bounds...

23. stonstad

stonstad

Stellar Conquest is in active development. Head on over to our Discord (https://discord.gg/uQsAeze) channel for access to the latest build. You'll need a PC and Steam -- I'll send over a Steam key. Your feedback helps shape and improve the game.

DrViJ likes this.