Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamVR vs Unity XR performance.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by flipwon, Jun 21, 2020.

1. flipwon

flipwon

Hey guys, just a simple question.

Does anyone with knowledge of these two systems know if there is a big difference in performance between them?

Thanks!

2. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

VR performance in Unity (with URP + Single pass instanced) has greatly improved with 2019.4 and XR to begin with. I recently switched to the XR Management and performance definitely seem to be improved from legacy XR. Also, I could be wrong but I think Unity VR plugin still tapped into Unity VR.

Keep in mind that you will still need to use the Steam XR plugin (still in preview, see here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/tree/UnityXRPlugin) along with XR management.

I stopped using Steam VR plugin because I don't need the interaction system or any additional things that come with. Also it was a pain to troubleshoot things, as with any third party too, with Steam VR plugin.

3. flipwon

flipwon

Since I've posted I've actually been dabbling with both. While I find Unity's XR system better and easier to work with, steamvr seems to have a much better interaction system. The physics of the XR system are horrible compared to steamvr's.

I'd prefer to go with XR, but with jittery velocity tracking (I've tried changing the timestamp and the hz of my index to all sorts of combinations) I just don't think I can work with it.

4. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

I am not sure what you mean by physics of XR system, as physics is completely different from both XR and Steam. It is its own thing. Maybe you mean the the interactive toolkit? I don't really use that or the steam, I created my own stuff because while it is very convenient to use those to get started with they are a pain when it comes to troubleshooting or extending/scaling to my needs.

I am using the new input system and it has been nothing short of a pleasant dream for me :)

Your experience might be different depending your project needs but having used the legacy XR + SteamVR plugin (actually served me well during the early days) for a very long time, my current vote is for XR management + Steam XR plugin + new input system. However, I'd say use what works best for you and your project.

5. flipwon

flipwon

Just meant how the xr interactables handled the movement. It's really bad atm, so it's either go steamvr or make my own.

I'll probably lean the way of steamvr, until they fix it of course.

6. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

They sure are taking their sweet time :)

MentalGames likes this.