Search Unity

SteamVR Update - No Controllers in Unity games - Error: "Bindings for unity.exe was not set."

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Jun 2, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I just updated and installed SteamVR beta 1527541104, Now when I launch a Unity game I get a message screen error: "Bindings for Unity.exe was not set. Please select a binding option."

And no controllers ever appear in the running Unity game.

This has affected every single project I have been working on, and at this point I have completely lost the ability to develop anything with Unity. I have absolutely no clue where to begin to solve the issue other than downgrading SteamVR, which I do not wish to recommend to my customers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I solved by updating SteamVR from asset store and VRTK from github, which introduced a lot of small issues that I have been addressing all day but the controller bindings message no longer appears.

At present all of my previous projects are still affected and unusable until I repeat this detailed update process for each one :(

3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Nevermind, it's back, all games are affected and I can't do anything. All development halted and totally stuck.

BadSeedProductions likes this.
  4. Rob_O_

Rob_O_

Hi, I'm having the same error. Did you manage to find a fix?

5. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Yes, my solution: stop using SteamVR beta!!!

I always got that error whenever I had any Vive trackers connected and using SteamVR beta. Once I reverted to SteamVR RC I have yet to see that weird bindings configuration screen, and I hope to never see it again!

6. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I have an update to your question ever since the latest SteamVR now completely breaks Unity + VRTK + Trackers.

If you locate the file "Assets\SteamVR\Scripts\ SteamVR_ControllerManager.cs"

Then find the OnEnable() function and change it (add a coroutine and a wait time) like so:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     void OnEnable()
    3.     {
    4.         StartCoroutine (OnEnableRoutine());
    5.     }
    7.     IEnumerator OnEnableRoutine()//ADD THIS COROUTINE FOR LEGACY BINDINGS WORKAROUND.
    8.     {
    9.         yield return new WaitForSeconds (0.5f);//THIS PAUSE MUST BE ADDED OR ELSE LEGACY BINDINGS MIGHT INTERFERE WITH CONTROLLERS GETTING INITIALIZED.
    11.         for (int i = 0; i < objects.Length; i++)
    12.         {
    13.             var obj = objects[i];
    14.             if (obj != null)
    15.                 obj.SetActive(false);
    17.             indices[i] = OpenVR.k_unTrackedDeviceIndexInvalid;
    18.         }
    20.         Refresh();
    22.         for (int i = 0; i < SteamVR.connected.Length; i++)
    23.             if (SteamVR.connected[i])
    24.                 OnDeviceConnected(i, true);
    26.         inputFocusAction.enabled = true;
    27.         deviceConnectedAction.enabled = true;
    28.         trackedDeviceRoleChangedAction.enabled = true;
    29.     }
    Now the controllers and trackers should be working with VRTK.

The annoying Legacy Bindings menu still appears when the game starts, but as long as it doesn't break my controllers completely I'm okay with it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. Rob_O_

Rob_O_

I have it working now!
    Thanks so much!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    CloudyVR likes this.
  8. SyDroX

SyDroX

Greetings, I'm facing the same problem, I tried the pause fix however the menu still keeps popping up. I'm testing an application that uses the trackers only. Because of this every time I run my scene I need to turn on a controller, close the "Bindings for Unity.exe was not set" dialog and turn off the controller.

9. Spabbage

Spabbage

Hey. Did you find a workaround for a project that uses trackers only? I'm having to do the same thing every time I test. Turn on a controller and close the pop up.

10. DanDan_VrMAN

DanDan_VrMAN

I have the same problem exactly.. :(
    Solution?? Anyone??

11. FabDynamic

FabDynamic

This worked for me! Thank you Trappist!

A few days ago I got a VRTK project working in Unity, then later that night installed LIV and one of the things LIV does is it installs some virtual trackers into the SteamVR environment. Today when I tried to run that same VRTK project this error appeared and my controllers didnt show up!?! I'm not 100% sure why this is but its probably due to the LIV virtual trackers and this small change in the SteamVR code fixed it exactly as described.

Edit: I was not using SteamVR Beta. In Unity I was using SteamVR v1.2.3

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    CloudyVR likes this.
  12. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Bump. Our game uses trackers only as well, and we get this same issue as of the latest SteamVR version.

13. margaritagosman

margaritagosman

I can not solve it like in the answer above, in the version of SteamVR i have there is no ControllerManager

14. Gruguir

Gruguir

Just in case, i just solved it by uninstalling a previously setup LIV virtual camera.

15. Rosslington

Rosslington

For me, the issue was that SteamVR was setting my plugged in Xbox 360 Controller as the default input device. I solved it by unplugging the Xbox controller.

16. sanketrandive

sanketrandive

I able to solved the issue by Uninstalling LIV application from steam. After Uninstall the app their is no more error pop up.

17. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

This is still an issue in 2019 apparently, my controllers are on and tracking, but do not appear within app

18. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Are you using VRTK by chance?

19. Valon

Valon

I have this issue too, no LIV or VRTK

20. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Do you currently use SteamVR 2.0 sdk in your Unity project?

21. Valon

Valon

We are on 2.2.0 on the unity package

22. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Have you created bindings for your project? I had to navigate to Window>SteamVR Input> in order to create new bindings for my project. Once a bindings.json file existed the message disappeared.

23. JustinAtSama

JustinAtSama

SteamVR 2.2, Unity 2018.1.1f1

I am having this problem. Things work in editor but when I build, VIVE controllers do not show up nor function.

Custom ActionSets also do not fire button actions. Only default ActionSet and buttons work.

I tried "replacing default bindings" and the custom actions still dont work and controlls still dont show up in builds. SteamVR is very broken.

24. Lewnatic

Lewnatic

Same problem here. Vive controllers in Editor... but not in Build. Getting this errors.

<b>[SteamVR]</b> GetDigitalActionData error (/actions/default/in/InteractUI): InvalidHandle handle: 1152954300977119462

25. reckless_glitch

reckless_glitch

I am on steam vr plugin 2.3
    every time i press "open binding UI" I get
    [SteamVR] Error identifying application: UnknownApplication
    and i cannot find my defined inputs on the web interface ...
    any ideas?

PS: also tried version 2.1, same problem ... whatsgoingon?

26. reckless_glitch

reckless_glitch

I had used some cyrillic letters building the app first time that somehow made its way into the steamvr plugin's appkey whateverthing and stuck there no matter what and threw the above error
    so after attempts to change it in build settings and settings and changing it via the variable i finally deleted everything but the assets folder to get rid off it, yust cost me half a working day to guess that out... darn

27. julian-perso

julian-perso

In my case, it's due to my project name which have an accent inside the name (famous french accent en e). so my app key editor also have an accent and steamVR can not link the app key editor with my project name. i just remove the accent from my app key editor and it works, i can use the binding UI for my project

CloudyVR likes this.