Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamVR Unity created .exe's running much choppier on WMR than on HTC Vive?

Discussion in 'VR' started by markjanzen88, Jan 30, 2018.

1. markjanzen88

markjanzen88

So we have a ton of projects made in Steam VR for the HTC Vive. One thing we are noticing is they run very choppy on the Samsung Odyssey (via Steam VR). We have picked Steam VR since our hardware consists of HTC Vive and now the new Samsung Odyssey.

Does anyone know why this would be and any possible fixes? Is there a way to run the Odyssey at the same resolution as the HTC Vive?

We have tried to recompile older projects with the current version of Unity but get the same performance issues. One other thing to note we are seeing this more on our gaming laptops compared to desktop machines (both have similar specs such as i7, 1070 gpu's)

Update1: It seems like its the possibly the cliff house thats causing these projects not to run properly. is there anyway to disable it from running when using Steam VR exe's?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

Hello,

For this issue I would recommend you contact Microsoft about their OpenVR integration. Unity has made no specific changes or alterations to support Windows MR HMD's under OpenVR. As its a standard API it would be up to the implementations of various HW providers to ensure they offer a consistent experience (in this case Microsoft) - if cliff house is the underlying issue there is nothing we would be able to do to prevent it from showing up.

That being said what you may be able to do is detect the name of the underlying device and when the device is Odyssey use the RenderViewportScale API to scale down the resolution to the same size as Vive. See https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/XR.XRDevice-model.html and https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/XR.XRSettings-renderViewportScale.html

Update:
    After consulting Microsoft I learned that they automatically match resolution so I would not advise using the above solution or you would end up with a lower resolution on this HMD vs Vive.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. ChimeraScorn

ChimeraScorn

Official Microsoft Employee

4. markjanzen88

markjanzen88

Thanks for the official replies guys. So the HTC Vive resolution gets passed to the MR HMD and its not rendering it at the higher native resolution.

To me visually it *does* seem like its running in a higher resolution than Vive but that could just be the better quality OLED panels?

So with that taken into account, our projects should be running similar on both HMD's and the only thing that is different is the Cliff house and related drivers.

@ChimeraScorn thanks for the reply - I will look into submitting a perf trace

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018