Search Unity

SteamVR tries to enable OpenVR support and Unity 2020 continuously disables it

Discussion in 'VR' started by masta-yoda, Jul 30, 2020.

1. masta-yoda

masta-yoda

I'm unable to open my Unity VR project after Unity 2020.1 upgrade. This update disables old XR settings in project settings and requires to use new XR Plug-in Management:

<b>[SteamVR Setup]</b> Enabled virtual reality support in Player Settings. (you can disable this by unchecking Assets/SteamVR/SteamVR_Settings.autoEnableVR)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Valve.VR.SteamVR_AutoEnableVR:Update() (at Assets/SteamVR/Editor/SteamVR_AutoEnableVR.cs:56)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    <b>[SteamVR Setup]</b> Added OpenVR to supported VR SDKs list.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Valve.VR.SteamVR_AutoEnableVR:Update() (at Assets/SteamVR/Editor/SteamVR_AutoEnableVR.cs:91)
    XR SDK Provider detected in project. Disabling VR Device settings for Standalone

I'm unable to open the settings file to disable the auto import settings so I went to `SteamVR_AutoEnableVR` and commented the whole `Update` method. After this I'm able to run my project but it crashes on start with missing `openvr` dll error

Can I use `steamvr` unity plugin with the new XR Plug-ing Management unity system?

2. Kalidor

Kalidor

Hi!

I'm using this Version of the SteamVR-Plugin. After installation you have to check OpenVR Loader in the XR-Plugin Management Settings. It's working so far.

sunwangshu and masta-yoda like this.
  3. masta-yoda

masta-yoda

I didn't have a chance to try it out, I fell back to the previous Unity Studio version as the new one generates too many issues to use it.

4. amarkham

amarkham

I am using
    SteamVR 2.6.1 (sdk 1.13.10)
    and that issue appears to be fixed.

They seem to have added a
    #if OPENVR_XR_API
    block to
    SteamVR_AutoEnableVR.cs
    , so if you are using the new
    XR Plug-in Management
    method of using
    OpenVR
    , the issue that you are experiencing is fixed.

5. sunwangshu

sunwangshu

I tried with 2020.1.8f1 with SteamVR unity plugin v2.6.1 to run my Valve Index. When I clicked "Save and Generate" in the SteamVR Input window, nothing happens. When I open the example scene and run, I get nothing from my headset and I was furious.

After some research I tried Unity 2018.4.12f1 with older SteamVR release v2.0.1 and it was working smooth and fine for now.

masta-yoda likes this.