Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamVR taking control of every camera in scene with no option to disable - STILL - no fix yet?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by lemmy101, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lemmy101

lemmy101

Hello, I've come back to playing with VR stuff after like a year or two away, and kinda stunned the same limitation is still present that made me give up previously, and have found no info on how to disable this without extravagant workarounds that would create weeks perhaps months of redesign of the game.

I'm working on a thing that requires huge distances to be rendered in complex scenes, and thus have literally about 15 cameras overlaid that comprise various degrees of distance (from cockpit, close, medium and far in each representing vastly different scales in the unity transform.) and are often required to point in differing directions and be in differing positions in the unity transform given the situation, and their transform being set is often time critical within the fixedupdate order too.

However any camera that's set to render to VR will automatically use head tracking in both rotation and positional. I see you can disable positional completely (which isn't what I want but better than nothing), however still the rotation is a huge problem.

I've found a cool workaround on github (https://github.com/guiglass/StationaryStereoCamera) which would be ideal if I was making an FPS or something with similar requirements or was just starting work and could design with this in mind, however the scene as developed is by requirement extremely complicated, dealing with cockpit to light years of distance in a single frame draw, memory is at a premium so can't afford to be making a slew of HMD sized render targets for each, and I don't want VR to be a requirement, so I can't really cope with the huge task of massively redesigning the whole basis of my game's rendering to implement the workaround for this problem for VR which accounts for a tiny proportion of any end users.

Is there no chance we're ever going to get a boolean value we can just set per camera to turn off the HMD overriding their rotation? It seems such a simple thing many people seem to need from my google searching for a solution.

Apologies if this has been resolved but I've found nothing except massively disruptive workarounds for such a basic requirement so am rather frustrated, especially since huge amounts of steamvr unity plugin seems to have been updated in the meantime, I was kind of sure this would have ceased to be an issue..

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018