Search Unity

SteamVR skeleton has strange curing? Can I turn off this feature?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Airmouse, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Airmouse

Airmouse

I just downloaded the steamvr_unity_plugin and can clearly see that whenever I roll my hand over the skeleton's fingers appear to move strangely, I think it is intentional but I need to disable this:

This is causing major misalignment with my project, and I have found no way to disable it.

Even in the Steam example you can clearly see that the bending causes undesireable effects, where the Alien floppy hand bends unexpectedly when flipped over:

And I am doing something very similar to the Alien Floppy hands in my game, this is why I have to find some kind of solution to this!!

I see no mention of anything useful in SteamVR_Action_Skeleton or SteamVR_Behaviour_Skeleton. I have no clue where to look next. Who should I ask? Where is this bending even coming from?? o_O

Please can some help me figure out a way to disable this?

2. Airmouse

Airmouse

Any ideas?

I linked my hands to a proxy mesh same exact way Steam's floppy hand example was done so I am experiencing exact same issue as shown in the Alien floppy hands video where it's bugged and obviously one (or multiple) fingers are bent based on the angle of the player's hand.

Would the Skeleton_Poser script solve this??? Could I create a static open hands pose? Would it solve the weird bending issue?

I am at a loss now, it appears the finger AddTwistingWeridness() function is embedded somewhere deep in SteamVR runtime its self and without access. I am forced that my simple custom VR hands are just always going to have to look stupid with bending issues caused by the user naturally rotating their wrist..

It looks really bad too. Why would Steam include such a broken example in their premier on GitHub?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  3. Airmouse

Airmouse

Does anyone know what is causing this bending issue?

4. Airmouse

Airmouse