Search Unity

SteamVR Plugin Gets Unity XR Support

Discussion in 'VR' started by BusterTheWizard, Apr 30, 2020.

1. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

Hey everyone!

Just saw this, have been waiting for months for it! Valve Updated the SteamVR Unity Plugin yesterday and it now supports the Unity XR API. About to give it a try! I have no idea how well it works yet but I'll update this thread.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/tree/UnityXRPlugin

Something I've been messing with lately is using RiftCat/VRidge (free version, 10 minutes at a time) to playtest my Oculus Go game on the headset in the Unity editor by streaming SteamVR to the Go over wifi. This does not work with Unity XR because of the lack of OpenVR support, so I had to enable/disable the Unity XR Oculus plugin to go between testing on the headset and building for the headset which was annoying. Hopefully this let's me do both at the same time now! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  2. jonbeilin

jonbeilin

Thanks for posting! I've been waiting for Unity XR support for SteamVR for a while and missed this. It's a little kludgey but seems workable and it's good to know that we're not going to be stranded long-term.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. mura_vrs

mura_vrs

Oh finally!! I've been waiting for this.

Has anyone had a chance to test it? About to make a fresh project to test.

4. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

I couldn't get it to work in my project on 2019.3.7f1, Unity just crashed every time I tried to play. My current workflow of enabling/disabling UnityXR to run via SteamVR/RiftCat for in-editor testing vs build and run on Oculus Go has been working alright so I didn't try to figure out the issue much but I'll see if it's something on my end or a problem with the plugin.