Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted SteamVR controller tracking without VR render

Discussion in 'VR' started by Ackanir, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Ackanir

Ackanir

Hello,
    I am creating an augmented reality project with 3D tracking. I am using an HTC Vive with latest version of Unity & SteamVR.

My goal is to use one controller to have its position, and render a scene in 2D for an external monitor. So I need to unplug the headset HDMI cable to plug the external monitor. Unfortunately I can't manage to it. When HMD cable is unplugged, the whole scene slows down (<10 fps).

Here is what I tried to get only controllers position without VR render:
    • Using the "Camera rig" prefab, disabling "Camera" to use my own separate camera
      upload_2020-6-28_15-9-43.png
    • Disassemble prefab and use "Controller (left)" alone
      But in both case it looks like SteamVR initializes, and tries to render the game for the HMD.
    • Changing SteamVR settings (similar tutorials) to use null driver and disable HMD.
      But as far as I understand, the HMD is used for the controller communication. And I don't really need to get rid of it, just to put it aside and disable SteamVR render.

Is there any way to track a controller position and disable any other VR related code ?
    (display, head tracking, ...)

Please do not hesitate if you have any idea on what I can try. I have been trying different things since Monday with no luck and can't find anything similar on the Internet...
    Thanks !

unityunity