Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SteamVR Constantly Crashing

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Jodon, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Jodon

Jodon

Hello,

I'm using Unity 5.1.2f1 (the very latest) and have decided to use the SteamVR Plugin as opposed to native support since the SteamVR Plugin gives a lot more options and flexibility. That's all great, I thought, until the engine crashes about 50% of the time, rendering even my mouse unresponsive for minutes at a time. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any luck with SteamVR?

It appears the VRCompositor might be causing the issues, since it appears when that dies the system comes back to life.

2. jashan

jashan

Did we already meet on the SteamVR forums? ;-)

I haven't tried 5.1.2, yet, but with 5.1.1p3, the SteamVR Plugin 1.0.2 worked really well. With Unity 5.2 beta2, I do get frequent crashes but it's still acceptable ... and could as well have to do with Sixense/Razor Hydra which I'm also using (and which had been giving me quite a bit of trouble before).

Jodon likes this.
  3. Jodon

Jodon

Hey Jashan,

Yes we did. I'm at the Vive VR jam right now in Vancouver, and I've run into people having the same issue as me. So I thought I would update this post: If you go to Steam, Go to your Tools section under Library. Right-click on Steam VR and hit Properties. Then opt-in for the Beta, you will get a new Beta release that does not crash, but merely freezes for a few seconds when you enter/exit play mode. This makes it at least possible to develop.

This happens on both 5.1.1p4 and 5.1.2. I'm running Windows 8.1.

Cheers.

4. jashan

jashan

Oh, cool - enjoy the Jam! I'm already on the SteamVR beta, so I guess I'm having another issue with Unity 5.2. Guess I better finally file a bug report ;-)

5. evie_makes_games1

evie_makes_games1

Heya! It's now 3 years later. Do you still have to be on SteamVR beta to develop? I'm getting quite frequent crashes after moving from DirectX11 API to OpenGLCore.

6. jashan

jashan

Generally speaking, SteamVR has been pretty stable, and the only good reason to be on the SteamVR beta as developer is because you'll often find issues between your game and SteamVR that you can report before that beta hits default (it's not that often, but often enough).

However, all my attempts of moving away from DirectX11 have been quite the nightmare. I had been trying DirectX12 quite a few times but it was always a waste of time, and in the end I stopped even trying.

But I assume you need OpenGLCore to have your game run on another platform like Linux or Mac OS?