Search Unity

SteamVR camera blurry

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by thisismeactually, Nov 30, 2016.

1. thisismeactually

thisismeactually

Hi All,

I am developing a game and have noticed that objects slightly in the distance appear extremely blurry in VR. To debug I've made a new project with just terrain and a few basic objects...

I have placed the SteamVR CameraRig and a normal camera ~10-15 units from the objects. The normal camera shows them as I would expect but the VR camera is very blurry. In addition, the objects appear to be flickering which in the headset looks kind of like a heat distortion (it's not nice!).

Is this normal? Is there something I am doing wrong or something I can do to prevent this?

I've attached screenshots and http://imgur.com/a/OoiNL also shows a gif of the flickering
    Note: I've adjusted the normal camera FOV to look the same as the VR camera output to make it clear

(Using Unity 5.4.1f1 and HTC Vive)

Any help much appreciated
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. tango209

tango209

The Vive is running at a lower resolution than your other camera which is why it looks blurry compared to the other camera.

The flickering is probably due to the headset moving slightly due to vibrations, the lower resolution, and aliasing.

It's recommended to up the anti-aliasing which should help with the blurriness and perhaps the jitter.

3. rainisto

rainisto

Yes, the blurriness is probably because of the noise in the transform / rotation components, you can see it easily from the editor.

Has anyone btw tried to dampen this noise? i.e. Put in a hmd component and then read its values to a camera gameobject with a dampening algorithm so that small variations would be ignored. Just wondering if that would help/work...