Search Unity

SteamVR 2.0 modified teleport point

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by kengeary, Jan 6, 2019.

1. kengeary

kengeary

Hello all,
    I'm new to VR development in Unity, in fact didn't get a HTC Vive headset, yet (next week if all works out). I have been viewing a lot of tutorials on Youtube and Pluralsight on setting up SteamVR + Vive in Uinity and have a solid understanding how to set that all up, with pickups and teleporting. For my app, I want the user to not only be able to teleport around a room (several room locations in a house, all loaded in same scene, no plan to loadScenes/Levels). The TeleportPoint is perfect, except I'd like the user to see the point (which they do) and I would have a sign above it stating "navigate here to get to next room". or something to that fashion.
    I do not see a way to do that. I guess I'm looking for the TeleportPoint visual locator to be in the room and function as usual...BUT... the actual location the user gets teleported to is not at that point but another "null" if you will in another room. Basically some sort of offset option. Would be really useful if I could have the prefab work in 2 parts...Place the visual portion where the user will see it in the room, and a part 2 where I can place a pointer in a different location where the User would really get teleported to, with the usual fade effect.
    I'm sure it's somewhere in the script where maybe I can add a public variable for this new location and modify parts of the script(but would make this script and the TeleportPoint prefab separate from the standard ones). I was wondering if anyone has done this already and has any tips?

thanks in advance

Ken

2. castana1962

castana1962

Hi Ken
    Unfortunate SteamVR 2.0 change a lot. If you desire to learn about it, please see in the VR with Andrew channel in Youtube. Your videos are cool and I know that he will add more of them soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8bDPqp3jykCGbx-CiL7VQ
    Hope this help
    Alejandro