Search Unity

Steampunk FPS game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by roger0, Oct 12, 2012.

1. roger0

roger0

I'm working on the walkways and rooms of the zeppelin frame. There will be a storage room somewhere in the lower middle of the frame, and four pathways that run across the whole length of the ship. The ship will be propelled by 6 massive engines. So there will need to be a lot of fuel tanks.

I didn't know that the ship would turn out to be so huge. But since this is the first ship of the game, If I can get this one working the rest of the ships will be easier. I'm almost certain this will lag in game without any level of detail system, so I'm going to make 2 lower rez versions for far distance, medium and short distance. Stay tuned.

2. JointJointGames

JointJointGames

this is great, reminds me of guns of icarus and bioshock infinite :D

3. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Is the fps pack you buyed worth the money :D?

4. HolBol

HolBol

I can't speak for Roger0 myselft, but I also bought the Ultimate FPS Camera, and it's extremely valuable for rapid prototyping of an FPS. Very adaptable.

5. roger0

roger0

I liked it. It saved me a lot of time. However, there was a few things that were not included. Such as magazine amount. And the bullets are just raycast, but I wanted bullets that will ''lead into'' shots. So I used the bullets from the CoD Modern-Warfare -script as the projectiles with the FPS camera. You can find it here.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/52651-CoD-Modern-Warfare-style-gun-script

6. roger0

roger0

Thank you. I've played guns of icarus and its a great game. For mine, I plan on doing more contemporary airship design, which I think is lacking in steampunk games.

7. roger0

roger0

I'm building the layout for the gondola. The design work for the hull is done so I will be moving on to designing the rooms. I will also be figuring out where the ships components are. I plan on getting the ship ready for Unity soon, so I can do a test to see how it works.

8. roger0

roger0

The airship has become a huge project. Not only is it over 2000ft in length, but all of the interior has to be there as well. On top of that, the model has to be fractured into thousands of pieces for destruction to work. Witch isn't an exaggeration, half of the gondola is about 2000 pieces, so I'm estimating the entire airship could have 12,000 pieces. I would presume with shadows, lights, and shader's working, the draw calls could reach 40,000.

However, I have a couple ideas to keep the performance decent. Such as rendering pieces of the interior at much shorter range than the hull of the ship, and using multiple Level of detail versions of the sections.

Draw calls will be tricky to get lower but hopefully I can make up in poly/Tri optimizations.

Here's a couple images of half of the fractured gondola hull in Unity.

9. roger0

roger0

I made a cool wallpaper that I thought I'd share, which is the very 1st one for the game!

Looking ahead, I will probably work on the high desert level and getting all of the terrains textured. Which is where the tanks are at in the image. It's going to be a pretty enormous map, but there's going to be large airships roaming around in it, so there needs to be plenty of room. I wouldn't recommend driving a tank from one side to the other, it will take awhile. Ferrying on a airship will be a much better choice.

10. Venged

Venged

Nice looking game!

11. roger0

roger0

Thank you!

I've made a new video showing off the latest features of the game. I'm trying to get back into the programming aspect so I can add more meat to the gameplay and interface.

12. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Hey roger0! This is an amazing job you've got going on. I'd like to know if you need anyone to write a soundtrack for the game. Contact me via my YouTube account if you'd like more information.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PenguinEmporium

13. roger0

roger0

I'm continuing to build the interior of the battleship zeppelin. Most of the floor plan has been figured out, however I need to build the props that will go inside of it. I plan on building alot of props, as well as purchasing some from the asset store and other 3d sites.

Attached Files:

14. squared55

squared55

Really liking the look of this. :)

15. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Looking good! Keep up the great job!

16. Cheburek

Cheburek

looks like this project would require immense amount of work. Are you working alone?

17. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Man I started following this project when it first began, and I left it for a while. I'm back to looking at it again and damn I must say you've come a long way! :D

18. roger0

roger0

Yeah I am. I will admit it is a immense project. However I have faith in it because I think its a game that will sell very well, because it has familiar FPS traits along with really good destruction, detail, and hybrid RTS/FPS mechanics.

There's also a few other things as to why I think this can get done.

1. I am going to buy many models from the internet to speed things up and save money. The amount available on the web today is probably much more than there was in the mid 2000's. So there's opportunities that did not exist before. I will am also buying scripts that will save alot of time. So half of the basic mechanics like First person controls and vehicle physics are already done for me.

2. The destruction for the game wont be to complex. For instance, a 3 story building is fractured into multiple pieces and scripted in a way so if the pieces at one level gets destroyed, the upper levels come falling down. The models less or more only needs to be divided up using a 3D app, and have scripts attached to them. It's nothing complex like red faction or trying to manipulate the mesh somehow.

3. For the networking, I am thinking of using ULink, since they proved they were able to get 1000 players in a game at once in one of their demos. I'm not trying to get that many, but the least I could imagine to get is 64 players.

4. I've chosen Unity, which appears to have the largest inventory of tutorials on the web, as opposed to UDK or cryEngine. I can usually find the answers to my problems by just goggling.

5. I have alot of experience(5 years) in 3d Modeling and animation, and I'm working on getting better at scripting. So I'm self capable to an extend.

I will most likely have to run a kickstarter or get funding somehow in order to actually finish the game. But I think I am skilled enough to get a demo out that shows the highlights in order to attract attention.

Ethaninja : Thanks for the comment!

19. Cheburek

Cheburek

sounds promising. Good luck man, your project is really unique and I am definitely following it. :)

20. jaybennett

jaybennett

hey man, i wanted to make a game like this. let me know if you need help with the coding.

21. roger0

roger0

Hello. Thank you. I sent you a pm, so just check your forum messages.

22. roger0

roger0

I am working on getting the airship into Unity and setting up the LOD for it and the destruction. This will be a large step moving forward since the airship is comprised of many peices (estimating 7,000 - 8,000 peices). The peices will be sectioned into many cells that will be merged together at runtime. And whenever the ship gets hit in a certain area, it will rebuild the cell so the mesh represents the damage that's been done.

I need to give credit though to the combine children script, since i'm using that in the process. I dont know alot about how to manipulate meshes, but I can integrate the script into the game.

Here is a broadside turret that will be on the gondola of the airship. There will be dozens on each side.

Attached Files:

23. superme2012

superme2012

Yeah that's looking good this wip section needs a follow wip button.

24. superme2012

superme2012

I'm on the same boat, I found making them and painting them up very easy and then the evil UV unwrap. Oh, do I hate unwrapping models.

Best tool I found for quick and dirt's is hedis (http://www.uvlayout.com/) its free and saves allot of pain.

Sorry its not free, i just found out. Worth checking out tho

Cant wait to see more of your game.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  25. TVE

TVE

Nice modeling! Surprisingly, I like texturing. When you get used to it, its not so bad. :)

26. roger0

roger0

Its been a little while since I worked on this game. But since then I've been trying to build a much smaller game. I might create another thread about that one some time. Looking back at this one though, I've realized the amount of work involved is incredibly massive. I'm going to have to examine what I can cut back on, or else I'm going to be an old man once this is made.

A large chunk of time spent on this game is figuring out the destruction for buildings and ships. I'm still going to try doing destruction, but I'm going to have to cut way back on non essential junk like interiors and furniture for every single building in the game. And its unnecessary for the ships to have full interiors also.

I thought I would need to model full interiors for all structures since everything will be destructible, but what I could try doing is make generic interiors that I can reuse for many buildings or ships, and have only the outsides of the building be destructible. I need to get back to working on the critical parts of the game such as chat rooms, UI, and characters.

27. Paparakas

Paparakas

This game looks familiar. Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the guy who posted in that thread about starting projects too big? And you said something along the lines of "everyone talks about starting big projects and never being able to complete them, but nobody ever posts them" and then you posted your own(this one)?

28. roger0

roger0

Yeah, that was me.

29. iKonrad

iKonrad

Looks good! I like the shaders, did you make 'em by yourself?

30. roger0

roger0

I did not make any speical shaders. I made the textures though.

31. Paparakas

Paparakas

You have mad modelling skills, you said you've been modelling for 5 years. How long have you been programming for?

32. roger0

roger0

Thank you. I've been programming for about a couple years.

33. roger0

roger0

I've decided to build another game that will be solely vehicle combat, like world of tanks. It will have the same style as this game, but there wont be any infantry or aircraft. However, the vehicle combat games assets and scripts will be used to build Age of Steam. So basically, I'm making one section of this game into a game itself.

I've also decided to forget about destruction. It was becoming to complicated and immense. However, buildings will still be able to get destroyed if they are owned by a team. They will just have a health bar instead of destructible sections. So if the health runs out the buildings destroyed.

34. roger0

roger0

To start off the new game, I'm building a heavy tank. It's inspired by the tsar tank. It has duel 6 inch cannons, can travel quicker than most tracked tanks, and has good armor. However, because of the limited interior its not able to fit a very big engine so its underpowered going uphill or through bumpy terrain.

I wont be doing much coding right now, but I will probably focus on the vehicle modeling for awhile.
    $heavy tank.png

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  35. roger0

roger0

I've textured the body of it, although its not completely finished. And started another tank. Hope you like them.

$heavyTank2.jpg

Attached Files:

36. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

nice! that is a rendered image right?

37. roger0

roger0

38. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Are there gonna be any ther lvls, i mean other than the desert one.
    btw this is awsome the only good steampunk games other than this are city of steam and bioshock infinite.
    I honestly think this gonna be the next massive hit indie game like ksp or minecraft. :D
    keep up the good work!

39. sknykny81

sknykny81

Just wondering if you was still working on this?

40. roger0

roger0

I put the project on hold for a long time. I have a couple other games to finish before this one. If life goes well I may get back to it. We'll see!

41. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Is this still being developed?

42. roger0

roger0

Not at the moment. Although I'm planning a flight game that will be in a steampunk setting. So it's likely a couple of these models will be in the game.

The flying game will produce a lot of assets that could be used for this game. I try to hit two birds with one stone as much as I can.

43. Cavalex

Cavalex

Is this game still in development?

DizzyTornado likes this.
  44. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Any news?

45. roger0

roger0

Honestly, I've had to drop this project for the most part.

It started off being a FPS multiplayer game with vehicles (pretty much as big as battlefield), then it became a multiplayer game with just ground vehicles. I put that on hold to focus on a Steampunk flying game. Although that project is now on hold so I can work on a futuristic flying game.

Once I get the futuristic flying game finished I will most likely resume the Steampunk flying game or another game I have on hold that is about logging/wood harvesting.

While I've been working on all these games I was also learning at the same time. So I was discovering what will take the longest and what will not. Sometimes you just got to stop a project in order to achieve more realistic/productive goals.

DizzyTornado likes this.
  46. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

It's good to know it's not completely abandoned, any chance I could help out with the steampunk battlefield game? I'd love to work on the destruction and mechanics for the blimp.

roger0 likes this.
  47. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Also, I'm just finishing up an asset for the asset store, and I'm in need of a new project, probably a terrain project, so I might make a few battlefield type maps that I wouldn't mind sharing for this.

roger0 likes this.
  48. urbanmic12

urbanmic12

Any news on this,I just found this 5 minutes ago and can't find any info on the game.Is it still being released,because I was looking forward to this 5 minutes ago. I hope so,and if it still is being worked on good luck!