Search Unity

Steamdeck and existing built games

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zumwalt, Jul 27, 2022.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

So, I got the steam deck today and loaded my game that I have published to steam, first thing that I noticed is that the video's don't play, additionally it doesn't support render to texture very well, or at all, my game does play though, and since this is technically Linux and my build is only for Windows I was surprised that it let it download and install at all. Since my game is based soly on mouse, the touch screen part of the steamdeck makes my game simply work.

Has anyone ran there game yet on the steamdeck and seen this same type of problem?
    My game is built on version 2020.3.32f1

2. BenM_AK

BenM_AK

Same. converted my game to linux and since I'm using AVPro video, my videos didn't load. It's literally the only thing that didn't work perfectly. Have you found an alternative since this post to get videos to play?

3. winston_spunk

winston_spunk

Has anybody had any luck getting videos working on Linux / Steam Deck yet? We've got two games we're trying to get work, one on 2019.4 and another one on 2020.3.

4. halley

halley

So, the "Windows build running on SteamDeck's Linux" is enabled by their Proton WinAPI layer, basically a modern offshoot of WINE. It apparently may be missing some of the more proprietary video codecs. If you're asking for how to play yourself, look into loading the more experimental Proton-GE version onto your SteamDeck (the Steam system works very well with multiple "compatibility layer" installations). This may help people research more.

It would be good if people reported back if they found the right codec that worked across the board.

5. winston_spunk

winston_spunk

Okay, so an update on our situation. For the 2019.4 game, I got it working! I had forgotten that we were streaming the video from streaming assets, but when I made it point to the right file the video successfully played.

So in case it helps, what we did was:
    - convert the .mp4 to .webm using Handbrake
    - I changed the file extension of the file to .vp8
    - replaced reference to the old .mp4 file to the new .vp8 file
    - built a Windows .exe and pushed to Steam
    - game runs via Proton, and video played successfully

halley likes this.