Search Unity

Steam VR (Vive) and Oculus Rift don't play nice together?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by BokuDev, Jan 14, 2016.

1. BokuDev

BokuDev

Hello I'm working on a puzzle game for VR and I added Vive Support after finishing the Oculus Rift DK2 version. Having Steam VR (Vive) attached to the camera, and the VR Unity mode ON together to have both Rift support and Vive Support crashes unity every-time I hit play with the Oculus, but still works with the Vive.

Is this normal? Iv seen games on steam that have both Oculus DK2 and Vive Support so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong and why these two integration's don't work well.

2. jashan

jashan

I'd use only SteamVR and avoid Unity's native VR integration altogether. When you use SteamVR, it will work on Vive and DK2 (and eventually also the Rift consumer version) already. No need for the native Unity VR integration (until they finally properly support SteamVR natively ... hopefully with an API that much more resembles what Valve did in SteamVR).

bcoyle and BokuDev like this.
  3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

What's the current status of the Steam VR plugin + Unity 5.2.5p2? Does it run with all the Oculus headsets (especially CV1) in addition to the Vive now?

4. bcoyle

bcoyle

This seems true but I haven't figured out what scripts to copy paste from the Oculus Utilities onto the SteamVR camera rig. Would need controller functionality. And then I also saw issues with the player height. Would need to fiddle around with it some more.

The SteamVR Unity Toolkit is a great starting place for the Vive - https://github.com/thestonefox/SteamVR_Unity_Toolkit

5. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I've just tried the Steam VR Plugin with Unity 5.2.5p2 and am finding it rather unusable. Once in awhile it works properly with my DK2, but more often than not it doesn't. Sometimes it's rendering in mono, upside down, and with the wrong field of view. Other times the head tracking appears to be about double what it's supposed to be, turn your head just a little bit and it'll rotate the view 90 degrees, etc.. The SteamVR app crashes sometimes and won't restart because the processes it launches don't shut themselves down when the process that launched them disappears. So then you have to open task manager, go hunting for all the little vr apps that might or might not have something to do with SteamVR, then shut them down so you can restart SteamVR and give it another try. Every now and then things get so borked I just have to reboot to fix it.

And that's all just with builds. Inside the editor for me it's been just as bad if not worse. The native Unity+Oculus stuff is brilliant, works like a charm every time.

I think I'll skip the SteamVR plugin approach until Unity gets native Vive support in (anyone know if that's really coming?). The SteamVR plugin is currently too unpredictable for me to work with.