Search Unity

Steam VR, stay on background when other VR game is running

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by iebaz, Oct 12, 2016.

1. iebaz

iebaz

Hi guys, I need some help please
    I want to build a VR UI Hub app for Steam VR games, I know how to launch external VR games with System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(Application.dataPath + "/shortcut.lnk"); from Unity3d,
    But my app gets closed anytime other VR game is launched.
    How do I make my Unity3d app keep running and when I quit the other game that I launched to then get back to my Hub app?
    I heard about vr_shutdown() and vr_init() but is it for Unity? if it is, where do I plug it in?
    thanks!

Marazyt likes this.
  2. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

I'm able to do this by setting VRSettings.enabled = false before launching the other app, and VRSettings.enabled = true when I detect the other app's process has exited. But to get it to work without crashing, I had to upgrade to Unity 5.5.0b11, and add this line to the top of SteamVR_Render.cs Update:

if (!UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.enabled) return;

3. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

Looks like I spoke too soon - it worked several times in a row with Unity 5.5, then went back to crashing or freezing up the child process. I think we should either be able to use VRSettings.enabled=false or VRSettings.LoadDeviceByName("None") but both of those solutions are currently (Unity 5.5) buggy and cause Unity to crash intermittently. I may have to give up on Unity and write a small Windows app to handle switching between the hub and child apps.

4. RaptorX81

RaptorX81

I'm also running into this issue. I've tried using VRSettings.enabled = false and SteamVR.enabled = false. Doing this followed by starting a SteamVR game causes the Unity game to crash.

Is the best method to write an external Windows app like sarahnorthway suggests?

5. ibyte

ibyte

Bump

6. Marazyt

Marazyt

Did someone ever figure this out?

7. Viitorcloud

Viitorcloud

still any solution?