Search Unity

Steam Strategy - the Curious Case of EnsenaSoft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HonoraryBob, Jan 27, 2017.

1. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

But that minimal animation wouldn't likely go over too well with Steamers if it was in 3D, which was my point. They'll accept it if it's presented as an 80s-style pixel art game with minimal graphics.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

it would depend on the art style. Theres not much animation of those critters and that game sold gangbusters.

Or paint the town red

GarBenjamin likes this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I've been focusing on the same thing. Only I was literally going back to console and arcade games from the early 80s with the plan to work forward from that point. And I will probably do that still but I just had an urge to tackle one of the things I've had in my head for a long time.

I do believe that is the key though, ya know? You've got to find that foothold. And exactly what form that takes is different for each person. For some people that may be writing shmups and for others maybe it is FPS or RPG games and for others puzzle games and for others platformers, etc.

Once a person has that foothold... and a clear direction... then it is just a matter of working. Make a simple solid platformer then another and another and another with each expanding on the last and soon you have a whole line of (better & better) games out there.

A person needs to be having fun. Sure there are difficult times but sometimes I just wonder when I read posts around here and people make it seem like they just crawled through hell and suffered daily but they finished their game.

I think that is a sign of either choosing way too big of a scope, the wrong game / genre that doesn't really bring any satisfaction or perhaps even choosing the wrong hobby and coin collecting or building bird houses may be more fulfilling. ;) Point being need to have fun with this. When it stops being fun and feels mainly like a grind need to ask why and figure out how to change it to bring back the fun.

Ha ha! Well you could always do HD platformers. They certainly don't need to be low res pixel art. As a developer, I focus on ultra low res simply because it keeps the scope of work reasonable. It makes it possible to actually complete the games in a timely manner.

As a gamer, I enjoy a game regardless of whether it has ultra low res simplistic graphics or complex HD graphics with millions of colors... as long as the game plays the same. That doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate a little more resolution or a little more color, etc. Just means I don't need that stuff to enjoy a game.

I think I probably enjoy seeing amateur / wacky work more than pro for Indie games. I like to see the dev's personality... see them in their work. If they all look & feel like they are striving for AAA or just taking it all too serious in general it kind of puts me off. But then I am weird like that I guess although I have seen enough comments on games by others saying they feel the same to know I am not the only one with this view.

And I'd much prefer to play a platformer with uber simple graphics that is just a ton of fun to play than I would to play another formulaic HD platformer like most people seem to be making.

It's hard to explain really but sometimes it seems almost like many people making such games haven't really played them or maybe don't actually play them today. Because the Indie games often seem like a facsimile to me. Like they have the stuff one would expect (for the most part) but it's all just sort of there because they thought it was supposed to be maybe from looking at videos or screenshots or something. I dunno.

Sorry for the ramble. I hope should you decide to make a platformer you go a little crazy on it. Something the same but really different. Whether it's a ton of collectibles or a massively overpowered weapon or crazy enemies that don't quite fit the stage (maybe toasters launching burnt toast or whatever)... that is the kind of stuff I want to see in Indie games. Unique stuff that basically can only be found in an Indie game.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    MV10 likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Which 8-bit platform did you have in mind? :D

GarBenjamin likes this.
  5. MV10

MV10

You should summarize the quote above and make it your sig. :)

Although in my case, building a worthwhile AI has stumped me, frankly. I have a great high level plan but getting the damned thing to work is another matter. It isn't really crawling through hell but I'm feeling a little burned out on it right now.

Will I do a platformer? A definite maybe is all I can offer up, my turn-based strategy thing is still my focus but 2D platformers do hold a strange appeal for me. I know I could build and finish one. No doubts at all. (This is not the same as being sure it would be any fun... I don't discount the value of good design of levels and mechanics.) My concern is that it may not be technically challenging enough to keep my attention. Just not sure about that part. Who knows, though, maybe I'll discover I really enjoy it. I think we just talked me into adding it to my "to do" list.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I completely understand that. One of the reasons I've focused on the tiny games is because I wanted to make sure I could complete them before losing interest.

However, I think it is one of those things where once you commit to doing something a little larger and have key goals in mind for the design that will keep it interesting. For my current project that means focusing more on the AI & interaction. As well as trying to maximize what I can do to visually express information without outright relying on creating new detailed graphics content for those things.

The enemies need to be engaging yet not crazy difficult. They need to engage in a way that allows some back-and-forth so it is more like a real battle and not just player hits an enemy once or twice and they are dead again and again and again. Occasionally that might be the case for a very weak enemy or for a very powerful attack performed by the player.

Instead of having little health gauges floating over their heads they need to inform the player of their condition through their behavior. Which basically means the more damage they sustain the more often they return to their Idle (recuperating) state or a defensive posture. Although of course some enemies personality may dictate the more damage they sustain the more desperate and aggressive they become. But they would also be less capable in that state, missing more often, etc.

And all of this is just for the PvE battles part of this game. So for "just a platformer" it should definitely keep my interest. Then I can get on to the platforming specifics.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017