Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam & Servers

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by LukeDawn, Aug 12, 2018 at 2:40 PM.

1. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I'm new to Steam and it's methodology, and unsurprisingly having a few teething issues.

I have a game client that connects to a game master server. The job of the master server is to tell the client which game server to connect to in order to play the game. Simple so far.

When adding Steam into the project (using facepunch), the master server and all possible game servers need to login to my Steam developer account. This is where the first issue comes in. Because the master and game servers run remotely, I need to use SteamCMD, but I'm still having issues with the master server connecting to the Steam developer account.

Is there anyone out there who has managed to get Steam working with their own servers and can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

2. csofranz

csofranz

While doubtlessly there are many people here who use Steam, the majority probably use UNet for Networking, and SteamWorks.NET for Integration. I think you'll have more luck asking this question on Steam's dev Forum (your developer page has a convenient link to their forum), or on GitHub (facepunch's home page).

3. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Yep, I've changed over to SteamWorks.NET - still have the same issue, that a backend server seems to need it's own steam account. Not sure how that's going to work with instanced game servers each needing their own steam account.

There seems to be a comprehension hole that I can't find a tutorial for. I'm sure Steam works for all client/server architectures, but finding out how is a tumbleweed strewn desert.