Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Steam OpenXR Game Crashing

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by yarsrvenge, Feb 23, 2022.

1. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

I have received reports from some players of my Steam OpenXR game that they are receiving a crash immediately after trying to launch the game. I cannot reproduce it, it does not appear to happen to everyone and appears to have started recently. I am not sure it coincided with an update (last update was 01/31).

Attached is one of the crash reports / stack traces. It seems like it is OpennXR related but I am not completely sure.

Attached Files:

2. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @yarsrvenge,
    Sorry to hear that your users are having trouble. Can you provide a stripped down version of your project through the Unity bug reporter (Help > Report a Bug) along with the log above so that we can reproduce and fix your issue. When you get a case number, come on back here and let us know what it is and we can take a look.

Also, do you happen to have any information on what hardware and OpenXR runtime the users are hitting this with?

Thanks!

3. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Hi. I'll work on trying to get something that is somewhat stripped down uploaded over the next two days. It does not appear to be specific hardware. Rift S, Quest and even Reverb G2.

The log I attached above was from one person, but the other two I've managed to get logs from are different from his. Theirs show a D3D error (invalid address). I was able to actually get a core dump from that one they provided so I will send that along.

Thanks!

4. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

I went ahead and uploaded it. I just remove the library folder since that is regenerated anyway. Case number is CASE 1407841 The upload includes the log provided by one of the two players with the same crash log entry and a crash dump.

I did try upgrading to the latest unity in the Stream (I think it was 2020.3.30 and had the people experiencing the bug try again but it did not help. I also tried upgrading the post processing package since there were some recent XR fixes in there.

5. unitydreamer29

unitydreamer29

Hey @yarsrvenge, several of our users are also reporting crashes on startup and their stack traces look nearly identical to what you posted.

One commonality between all users experiencing these crashes was that Viveport was installed on their machines. A reinstall of Viveport solved the issue in each case. Unfortunately I do not know the root cause yet, but there appears to be some conflict between Viveport related files and the latest OpenXR packages, even when launching through Steam.

6. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Thank you, I will pass this along! I have another error that some people are experiencing causing an immediate crash, but after sending that to Unity their recommendations did not seem to help them. Attaching it here. Looks to be a DirectX/Direct3D error.

Attached Files:

7. yarsrvenge

yarsrvenge

Just a heads up. Removing Viveport did solve the problem in the first log I posted. Thank you! The second error that causes an immediate crash for D3D is still unsolved.