Search Unity

Steam is remapping our controls

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mudloop, Mar 24, 2021.

1. mudloop

mudloop

Hi all,

I have a demo out on steam and gog.

The game uses InControl for controller support, and Unity standard input for keyboard.

Some users reported some weird issues. Actions that are supposed to be mapped to the face buttons are mapped to the triggers. The delete key on the keyboard is sometimes mapped to “back” so they can’t use the delete key for clearing savegames.

I asked them to try the GOG version which is basically the same build but it doesn’t initialize steam, and they reported it doesn’t have those issues.

So Steam is overriding my controls, and I’m not sure how I can tell it not to, or how to make it behave correctly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't, but if this is what's happening, it's likely that Steam exposes a way for you to give that system some guidance.

Obviously control remapping is a GoodThing(tm) to your average gamer, so that folks with different physical limitations can still play the game, but obviously Steam also wants your game to work properly, so check into their docs to see if there is something you can help Steam with, such as "don't remap these keys, but everything else can be remapped," type of setups.

3. mudloop

mudloop

Thanks!

Yeah, I figured it out, need to select the “generic gamepad” template somewhere in the steam dashboard.

I agree that control remapping is good, but it’s weird that the defaults aren’t sensible and you’d have to select an option to make it work as intended.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. Antistone

Antistone

Steam tries to make their controllers work even for games that are not designed to use gamepads. If you don't tell Steam what your game is designed to use as input, it doesn't have any way of knowing. Did you check the "gamepad support" or "partial gamepad support" checkboxes in your Steam feature list? (Those blue icons that appear in the right-hand column of the store page.)

I don't know the precise rules, but I bet if you use a non-Steam gamepad and don't use Big Picture mode, then Steam probably won't attempt to remap your gamepad to other inputs.

Telling Steam a recommended gamepad configuration is certainly a good idea, though. If nothing else, it allows players to see that the developer thought about it and intended the gamepad to work.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.