Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve_O, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Teo

Teo

Yes man, I found it strange also, and I don't like it honestly. But that's just me. If anyone else like it and buy it, no problem :) The point was, every one tastes are different, we can't say only what we like is good.

2. Kondor0

Kondor0

It is a weird theme but that's exactly the point: to get visibility you don't need a good game, you need a notorious game that doesn't suck (just my opinion of course).

I would never buy that game but the fact that we are talking about it, it means it is a marketing success.

3. Teo

Teo

I said that, I didn't even know sold more that 100k wow really, gz to who made it:)

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

According to SteamSpy, Shower with Your Dad Simulator has already sold more than 74k copies.
    http://steamspy.com/app/359050

So not quite 100k sales yet, but it will probably eventually get there. The positive review by Jim Sterling probably helped quite a bit.

The reviews by users are helping as well. On the game's Steam store page, there are thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews for that game. At this point, it has 2325 positive reviews vs 74 negative reviews.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/359050/

5. Teo

Teo

This game is absolutely dubious. And the comments also are hard to be understood, like this one:

"Realistic showering experiance" REALLY?? With that 2D big pixel art? Haha..

I don't understand Steam comments, as I said, something is totally wrong with that system.

6. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Hate to break it to you, but the game is quite literally a joke.

7. Rico21745

Rico21745

I think it's a sad state of affairs when joke games make more money than "real games" (define how you want) on Steam a lot of times. I don't mind humor in my games, when done well it's great. However I feel like soon enough we're going to reach a point where nobody wants to pay for anything because Steam as a platform has become so diluted, to the point where people are now just submitting mobile port without any additional work done to them, joke games that would be free on sites like Kongregate, and even things that look like a student's first project.

The flood gates are open and people still complain about their games not making it through Greenlight. How much lower should the bar be at this point? It seems ludicrously low already. Meanwhile as was discussed earlier, they have an archaic view on sex and content on games, but are totally ok with letting the garbage pour in.

At this point its really not much different than the App Stores.

antislash likes this.
  8. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Well when it comes to making money, publicity is everything nowadays.

9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

For anybody who feels this way, please immediately read the book "The Long Tail" by Chris Anderson. Here is a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Tail-Business-Selling/dp/1401309666

Also, notice that I linked to a book at Amazon, an online store with a seemingly infinite number of products to choose from. Some of the products are awesome, and others are not so great. But since Amazon has mastered the Long Tail, Amazon gets to thrive in this environment. The problem with Steam is not the surplus of games. The surplus of products at Amazon is not hurting Amazon at all.

The problem with Steam is that customer reviews and rating system needs works, the automated recommendation system needs work, and the search functionality needs work. It is these issues where Steam shows that Valve has not yet mastered the Long Tail. But the surplus of games is definitely not the problem.

Compare your shopping experience at Amazon with your shopping experience at Steam. At Amazon, you can quickly find anything you are looking for. At Steam, you will often struggle to locate something unless you literally know the name of the game. Steam should be smart enough to accurately recommend games I would likely want to buy, but Steam cannot do that as well as Amazon does. Once Valve masters the Long Tail, Steam should easily be able to rival Amazon in this way.

tedthebug likes this.
  10. tedthebug

tedthebug

This is true. I've bought, & enjoyed, a whole stack of books & dvd's (most of which were never shown or released here) that Amazon recommended based on what I had bought previously & the reviews I read about those items. I've yet to be recommended a game by steam that a) is anywhere close to interesting me, & 2) has reviews that are intelligent & well thought out such that they convince me that I might like the product. In fact a lot of the reviews, especially for online games, have reinforced my initial decision not to buy them.

11. nivrig

nivrig

I'm curious. I've seen (a lot?) of Steam comments that are negative solely because a game was made with Unity. Those of you who have submitted to GL, did you get any feedback on using Unity Free/Personal?

12. Teo

Teo

No, game made in Unity (pro or not) does not matter. Negative comments just come. Some peoples really don't have what to do, and they think if they talk crap on Steam they are more interesting or something.

Haters gonna hate, whatever engine you use.

nivrig likes this.
  13. nipoco

nipoco

Some of the most successful games are made with Unity.
    Cities: Skylines, HuniePop, The Forest, Stranded Deep, The Long Dark, Gone Home, Ori etc.
    Little Devil Inside is powered by Unity. It got greenlit in a couple of days.

So it's safe to say that for most people, the game matters, not the engine.

Teo likes this.
  14. nivrig

nivrig

Thanks, I guess I was wondering how many haters there were :)

For the record, I know there's a loooooong list of great games made in Unity. I have no doubts the engine's capabilities will outstrip my own.

Did anyone here put their game on Steam with Unity Free/Personal?

15. Teo

Teo

I guess there are a lot of them with Unity free. Frankly, does not really matter. Most of players who buy the game do not even know the difference or why is that splash screen.

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity had a bit of a tarnished reputation for a while because it was the only engine available for free (meaning a lot of rubbish was produced with it) an you only have to show the splash screen on free (meaning a lot of the rubbish mentioned had the Unity logo on it).

That's changing now. There are two key factors. Unity's competitors were forced to release free versions to remain relevant to the market. This means there is rubbish coming out of other engines.

The other key factor is unity is launching a focused effort to associate the engine with the great games comin out of it. This one is realitively new, so watch this space.

antislash and Teo like this.
  17. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Never seen anyone complain about KSP being made in Unity. In fact it's the reason why there's such a diverse modding community for the game.

I mean I have seen complaints about Unity elsewhere, but those were made by 12 year old boys who know literally nothing, I don't find their misinformed opinion to be of any threat.

Also worth mentioning that said complaints usually get shut down pretty quickly by basically everyone with half a brain cell.

Teila and nivrig like this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Your average KSP player has at least two brain cells, that may explain it. ;)

19. Rico21745

Rico21745

I'm actually very curious to know how games with the "unity personal" splash screen are received in Steam. I would predict, not too well. I honestly wish they'd go back to the other logo, Unity Personal just sounds like it's not legal for commercial purposes (even though it is).

I imagine that's probably the intent of changing the splash screen to that particular wording, to try to get devs who may not want Pro anymore to still buy it. I rather wish they'd provide more value instead to entice us, rather than try to "shame" developers into getting pro as it would appear today.

darkhog likes this.
  20. frosted

frosted

I've never played a game on steam that showed the unity logo at all. I'm not sure that the professional logo would be well received, and I think the personal logo would probably seem borderline illegal (as you say).

21. nivrig

nivrig

+1 this and this.

22. Teo

Teo

Considering usual Steam comments, yes, the logo can hurt a bit more. But if the game is good, really do not matter.

23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Look at this game it sat on greenlight for over 1 year.

http://futureproofgames.com/blog/2015/04/08/one-year-steam-greenlight/#.VhEQ07RVhHx

24. Kasko

Kasko

Don't forget to mention that this article is old and it got greenlit (and released) in the end:
    http://futureproofgames.com/blog/2015/04/22/how-ossuary-got-greenlit/#.VhEbtmtQgy0

Actually, it's not so rare to have games stuck in Greenlight limbos and then finally getting approved after a loooong time. You can usually see them them pop up on greenlightupdates.com
    Last good example is Death Ray Manta who recently got released and featured in the Humble weekly bundle:
    https://greenlightupdates.com/?p=1&o=0&s=1&b=&ts=death+ray

First rule of Greenlight: you only have 48H to make a first good impression, after this your game is no longer on the first page and you can already see the trend if you're likely to get greenlit soon or not.

25. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess you would have to have your game in a ready state and hit some blogs and hope they cover your greenlight campaign before even launching

26. frosted

frosted

It really depends on the genres as well... I got pretty consistent traffic for about 13 days - I think in large part because my genres were RPG/Strategy - so I was in the most recent 30 of both the subgenres for about 2 weeks...

That said, my votes were extremely steady compared to most greenlight games. I saw almost no fall off till the second week. I was also driving very little to no external traffic, so there werent any crazy spikes from press.

27. Teo

Teo

Interesting... can you share some numbers? visitors etc?

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Perhaps if going down to people involved the sniper zoom feature +120 scores and so forth you see in the multitude of scopeshot videos. Joking aside, there's a lot of stupidity in the world and frankly they're wrong.

Teila and Ony like this.
  29. frosted

frosted

I've shared screenshots a few times already, i feel sort of weird about spamming it in multiple threads.

I got 400 yes votes in the first 24 hours. By day 2 I had 669. Day 5 I had 1400. Day 10 I had 2,400.

Admittedly, the number of votes in the first 48 hours was biggest. But votes came in very consistently on average like 200 a day until around day 11. At that point it completely flatlined but I was already at #51 and got greenlit a few days later with the next batch.

1/3 of the total visitors to the page gave a yes vote. With just over 50% of the actual votes being a yes.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  30. Kasko

Kasko

EDIT: wrong thread

31. Teo

Teo

@frosted Interesting, I got almost same result in first 3 days, then everything stalled. I still think that Greenlight vote system is a major failure.

32. frosted

frosted

What categories were you under?

Again, I think that my votes kept coming in almost entirely based on my position in the RPG/Strategy recent greenlight list. When I fell off the first page of that list - thats when my votes flatlined.