Search Unity

Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tasadar, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tasadar

tasadar

2. Morning

Morning

Oh yes it will. I bet you will also see a thousand posts on facebook "vote for my game".
    Because that's what totally will happen.

They even allow "concepts" to be posted. I don't know what to think of that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't think those things will matter. The community will sort out quickly enough what's worth voting on and what isn't, and I expect that dodgy stuff would fall off the radar pretty quickly.

Remember, even amongst good games it takes something special to get significant attention.

4. Morning

Morning

But can you trust the community though? It could turn into popularity fest like kickstarter where even if your project is good, if you aren't popular you're not getting it. People who have access to thousands of facebook friends and twitter subscribers are at an obvious advantage.
    But I trust Valve on this one. Community management is something they're very good at.

5. echtolion

echtolion

this
    popularity and good often have nothing in common

6. ludiares

ludiares

Seems a pretty good idea. It can help a few developers, at least

7. TehWut

TehWut

Wow, I am very excited for this. There has been a fair share of complaints by the Steam community about Valve's sketchy and quite unpredictable submission process, glad to hear they are listening. Whether or not this system will be flooded with shovelware or not, well, only time will tell. A problem I could see arising is a "vote ALL the games!" mindset, for the simple purpose of having more games on steam. (again, to the eyes of the gamer, why is there a reason to not upvote the starving Indie game dev?)

8. Morning

Morning

Number of max votes per day could be limited. Though that could backfire with projects you'd like but not that much to waste a vote on them.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, but that stuff is marketing. You can hardly fault a sales platform for favouring products which are marketed well, and are therefore more likely to sell.

10. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I will watch those concepts closely :)
    Something good may show up there... And for free... Well, ideas are worth nothing, huh ;)

Edit: Hmm... I think KS is an better option, but lets see how Valve evolves this thing...
    I mean, in KS there is everything, not only games you know. That merges audiences.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

KickStarter is for funding, isn't GreenLight just for selection?

12. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I rather think of KS as a marketing gate...
    But you know what is going to be funny? When Steam's community realise that big company's games won't be part of this system (because they have $$$ power) and someday players will rage about it if they know a big one is going to release a game they don't want to happen.
    If that situation ever happens I will lol a lot.

13. tasadar

tasadar

yea they are different, he just didnt read...
    btw ks is us only which makes it "not that good option"

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The internet being the internet, yes, it'll probably happen. But really, why get upset over a game being released that you don't like? Just don't buy it. It's not as if it'll stop other games from also getting released.

People should also realise that the indie games alone probably aren't enough for sustainable business, so Steam would have to continue it's usual distributor role anyway.

15. DavidB

DavidB

This is very interesting, caught it today on RockPaperShotgun. I'll definitely want to see it before getting excited... but that being said, it will definitely give everyone a "shot". It'll be harder to shine, but more accessible, and you can garner feedback as you go rather than having to iterate post release or in sequels only.

Definitely an interesting move on Valve's part.

16. khanstruct

khanstruct

I don't see where this would be compared to KS. Sure, people will start posting the "vote for my game" stuff, but these are the same submissions that Steam has always dealt with. Its just that now, you can see them too. If you don't want to... don't.

This isn't offering any kind of crowdfunding or alpha funding like Desura. Its just allowing players to make the choice as to what indie games become available on Steam.

And who cares if a AAA company's game isn't submitted for approval by the masses. So a game is available on Steam you don't like. Big deal. Don't buy it.

17. wccrawford

wccrawford

I don't see the problem here. It's not like people can really get any more annoying about this than they already are.

Before: Complain about Valve not letting game X on Steam.

Now: Vote for game on GreenLight. Complain about Valve not letting game X on Steam.

That's *still* the worst-case scenario. And if a game really is popular, then Steam will have an easy way to know to take a look, backed by numbers, instead of just people screaming about it until Valve hears them.

It's not like Valve has promised to let every popular game on, either. There's still contracts and negotiations to get through, and Valve will continue to have standards. (Even though we the public don't really know what those standards are, exactly.)

18. Morning

Morning

Maybe you will be able to donate/pre-purchase from greenlight using steam wallet?

19. Meltdown

Meltdown

Sounds good, although I've already submitted a demo of my game last week.
    Hopefully it will get approved before then :)

20. Grafos

Grafos

I am not all that excited about this concept. As others have mentioned, popularity and quality don't always go together, I'd rather have my games reviewed by professionals in the business. Lets say how it plays out.

21. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

I think it will depends on how valve will manage it,if they block all the crap it'll be nice for serious project funding:)
    And I hope this will work outside U.S:)

22. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

For me this is exactly the same thing of KS. You dont post projects there for money, unless you are mistaken about it, you do it to grab users for your product, to aquire fans and possibly build a new franchise. New feanchise means big chunks of money coming in for years. The majority of ppl there who use KS trying a quick buck are flatly mistaken about the system. For real, the funding aspect isnt what really matters there.

Have you ever dealt with fans of any kind? If you make a succesful product, fans will be 100% sure that it is NOT your thing, it is theirs. Doesnt matter if you are the person who created it. They own you. And once you do something to their thing that they dont like, they will hunt your head ;)

Im sure Valve is planning on that after the system is out there for a while. They would be silly if not.

23. Morning

Morning

Just like shareholders :)

24. khanstruct

khanstruct

I think that would make it the opposite of KS. It been a repeating pattern on Kickstarter that, if you seek funding without already having a large fanbase, you will fail. People don't post on KS to gather fans, they post there to reach out to existing fans.

Much as I would like to think that GreenLight would be used to gain new fans, I doubt it. It will most likely end up having that in common with KS. If you don't already have the fans, eagerly awaiting the game, you most likely won't get the votes you're hoping for.

Yeah, no kidding. That was more of me speaking out against the entitled mentality of fans. Pointless, I know, but I'll keep repeating myself.

25. Morning

Morning

If valve guys are cool like that, they will most likely approve/boost less known quality projects. I think this service is to reduce the strain on approval staff, not to eliminate it entirely.

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't understand this point of view. Why would you rather get approval or feedback from anyone outside of your target audience? This largely cuts out a potentially extraneous middleman, which I think can only be a boon for indie games.

27. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

professionals won't buy your game'-.-

28. TehWut

TehWut

you know it's like 3 guys right? I've heard rumors that they are so busy sometimes they don't even look at submitted games ;)

29. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Billy Bob: Hey, did you see that Zeb put up a new game on Steam Greenlight?
    Billy Joe: Zeb? That douche?
    Billy Ray: Yeah, I saw what that ass monkey did.
    Billy Joe: Let's tell everybody what a douche Zeb is.
    Billy Bob: That's what my plan is.
    Billy Ray: Yeah, we'll make sure his game never gets the green light.
    Billy Bob: It looks pretty cool though.
    Billy Ray: Yeah, I watched the videos.
    Billy Joe: But he's a total douche. He disagreed with something we said like eight years ago.
    Billy Bob: Yeah, he's a total douche.
    Billy Ray: Complete ass monkey.
    Billy Bob: We'll make sure...
    Billy Joe: ...that he never...
    Billy Ray: ...gets the green light.

30. khanstruct

khanstruct

Well hopefully your game will look good enough that the opinion of the two Billy's won't be enough to thwart your plans. That's just silly.

(Unless you're counting on those two guys and the people who's opinions may be swayed by them. In which case, you don't really have a solid fanbase anyway.)

31. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

It's along the lines of a mental virus. You take three people - they begin to seed the doubt, misinformation, etc, etc, etc. The casual person on the internet reads it and believes it is true. They tell somebody else. It spreads.

Much like the developer hopes to spread the good word - the same mechanics exist to spread the bad word.

Then turn on the news - or - go to a news site. Is it mostly good news or bad news? Check out any entertainment news sites - good or bad? What do people crave? They crave bad news.

It's easier to spread bad information than good information. It's easier to spread a lie than the truth. Then again, that's often a reason that the good news much like the bad news - is also a lie.

Communities tend toward cliques and cliques tend to gain power. If you're part of that clique, you may be blind to it. Outside the clique, you might find yourself exiled or becoming a sheeple just to get along.

32. burnpsy

burnpsy

How will this help with funding? o_O

33. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Since you can list in-dev, you can tie it in to your KS info as well as elsewhere.

Here's a game getting positive feedback over on the Steam GreenLight site... that sounds like a better game to toss some money at than a game that's kind of out there with nothing really going on.

It's marketing.

It's a way for Steam to help themselves out on several levels. Sure, it will help the game developer - but Steam's a business, and they would not be doing this if it was not a case that it would also increase their revenue.

The developer gets more coverage - they get more funding - they put out a game...Steam gets their cut.

34. tasadar

tasadar

it is online... with 300 games already :)

35. Meltdown

Meltdown

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  36. taumel

taumel

And who is gonna play all those games?

37. Meltdown

Meltdown

Steam customers?

38. taumel

taumel

And they grow on trees?

39. Meltdown

Meltdown

Well there sure is a lot of them..
    40 million+, which is more than all the leaves on all the trees in your average park..

40. taumel

taumel

I don't see this working out for many devs in the longrun. A steady increase of games but limited resources in gaming time.

41. Meltdown

Meltdown

Why not? The only difference is the community now decides which games get released on Steam, not the small review team they had before.
    Their release schedule will stay the same as far as I know, they wouldn't change that.

42. taumel

taumel

I wasn't thinking of Steam only. I was more thinking of all the existing gaming options together and how the number of releases increase each year but without that the number of gamers/gaming time increases in a similar way. This plus the pyramid system we have in such markets.

43. Meltdown

Meltdown

Well due to the increasing popularity of indie-friendly game engines like Unity, that was bound to happen.

44. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Happy comments, upvote, and Facebook share...though, the last one might cost you...I should have thought about that one first. I've been pissing some of my atheist and liberal friends off lately...ahem.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

46. badkenny

badkenny

47. Meltdown

Meltdown

48. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hmm... There is no moderation in there.
    I saw already 4 fake Minecrafts, 1 fake Gears of War parody, people trolling with fake projects, and many pages marketing flash games.
    Give it 1+ month and it will be just like Google Play...

Also if the rate of new projects keep growing like that, in 1 month there will be more than 7000 games in that thing.
    Do we earn anything for rating all those games??

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  49. Meltdown

Meltdown

How do you know if a project is fake? Can you point us to one?

50. Morning

Morning

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012