Search Unity

Stealth for iOS - Metal Gear style game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Nicolas-Liatti, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

[UPDATE] I just submitted the game to the Appstore :)

Here is live gameplay video of how the game finally looks like

And some screenshots:

[OLD Post]
    Hi everybody,

Here is the first trailer and screenshots of the game I'm currently working on. Its codename is "Project S" so far, no name yet.
    I wanted to try to make a kind of stealth game on iOS and see how I would manage to make controls work. I already have several kind of gameplay situations, I put some of them in the trailer.

No need to mention it's still early in the development ;)

EDIT: Latest video

OLD videos:

A video of the beginning of the game, showing the basics of the stealth gameplay.

Nicolas

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

2 screenshots, showing that you can use any object to "sneak" and observe

$Capture d’écran 2013-09-08 à 23.18.18.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-09-08 à 23.17.40.png

3. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Today I'm posting a video showing the gameplay in an outside area.

The gameplay focuses on 2 main points:
    - The player can take cover on every object in the game: rocks, trees, fence, walls, etc.
    - You have to be silent to hit enemies. If they hear or see you, they will try to kill you.

The player can either by touching the screen, or be walk (and thus be silent) in double-tapping the screen.

4. AddNone Games

AddNone Games

It looks great. Good job! :)

5. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

Looks brilliant so far! :D i love the animations look really nice and smooth!

6. Pastywhite

Pastywhite

Cool! Sorta looks like Metal Gear Solid meets Lort of the Rings. Haha. Good job.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Seventh Stealth likes this.
  7. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Yeah, animations come from Mixamo :)
    In fact 100% of the assets come from the Asset Store as I'm not an artist at all, so I could concentrate on the code.

8. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Thanks!
    At the beginning I just wanted to see how a stealth game would look on mobile, and if I could find good controls for it. I experienced many stuffs , such as automatic covering, gyroscope to see behind a corner, automatic cameras, etc. and although there is still some fine-tuning, I'm happy with the controls now.

I started to work on the game itself 2 weeks ago (scenario, background, etc.) and I hope to have a vertical slice of 10-15 min at the end of october.

9. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

A new update:
    - I've added a map, a la MGS. We can see the map, the enemies and their vision. It's thus much better, and more fun, to try to avoid them.
    - I've reworked the GUI layout. Now there is only 1 button for all the actions: attack, kill silently, open door, cover, etc. It changes depending on the context.
    - I added a virtual joystick, although it's invisible. You can press anywhere on the left part of the screen to play with it.
    - There is a fps view: you can move and do all the actions with 2 virtual joysticks
    - Lots of optimisations to maintain 30fps in each of the view (especially fps mode)

And last but not least, the first 10 minutes of the game are done and fully playable :)

$photo 2.PNG $photo 4.PNG $photo 3.PNG

10. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is looking great! Like the animations too!

11. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Here are some new pictures. This week I polished the visual style and spent some time to find good ratio quality/size for the light map.

I think I almost have a vertical slice, there is still the GUI to polish and some props to add in some scenes, but the "prologue" is now full playable :)

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-13 à 08.27.05.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-13 à 08.04.15.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-13 à 08.04.01.png

12. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Weekly update:
    - I added some "puzzle" rooms, where you have to solve a enigma. It's mainly pushing some boxes in order to get an item. I include one screenshot of one of those room.
    - I started to work on 2 environments: the castle, which will be the hub to go in the different environment, and another one that you can see on the screenshots.

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-19 à 09.57.57.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-19 à 09.57.38.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-10-19 à 09.56.53.png

13. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

FINALLY: A video of the first scene of the game! This shows the basics of the stealth gameplay.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Reminds me a bit of Thief, which is by no means a bad thing!

Very interested to see how this goes. Keep it up!

15. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

16. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Hi all,

It's been a few weeks since the last update. Here are 2 new videos showing more of the gameplay:
    - Whistle to attract guards
    - Throwing bombs
    - Using the bow in a village by night

17. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Looks nice. Where did you get the concept? I like your animations though and looks like a great mobile game!

18. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

For the concept, I just wanted to make a stealth game on mobile. At the beginning it was just about not being caught by the guards, then it evolved in something bigger. Now it's a kind of mini metal gear in a fantasy world :)

Regarding the animations they come from Mixamo, it works really fine indeed!

19. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

It's a very nice game so far,keep doing it!

20. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

It's been a long time with no update, I was just very busy working on the game and I wanted to wait to have significant changes before posting. There is now a new GUI, new controls, and around 1h30 of gameplay :)

Here are some screenshots:
    $Screen4.jpg

$Screen1.jpg

$Screen2.jpg

$Screen3.jpg

Let me know what you think about it :)

21. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Here are 3 new videos of gameplay: one with an action scene, one from a stealth scene and one outside.

By the way, I'm thinking about a name for the game. I'm thinking lately about "By Stealth". What do you think about it?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  22. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

The development is still going on (and quite well I think), here is a trailer!
    As a reminder, the game is planned on iOS.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  23. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I just updated the teaser above.

24. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I improved the atmosphere of the jail by playing with lights and particles, I believe it looks much better now. There are as well bats, rats, smoke... well, a jail where you rotting :)

$Stealth 1.jpg

$Stealth2.jpg

25. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

and a video to show this:

26. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

A new level in the forest, with new FX.
    This runs at 30 fps on iPad 2, pretty happy about it :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  27. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I think I now have all the scenes/levels, and they are connected together. I believe I can say I am finally entering in beta!

However I didn't get any feedback on the videos/screenshots I posted lately :(

28. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Not that I know everything about the game, but clearly this will get boring if you're just killing the same type of enemy the same type of way. That's about as much feedback I'll give without giving any ideas.

29. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Thanks for the feedback.
    Actually, you have several ways of killing the ennemies: by strangling them, throwing them kind of bombs, shooting an arrow, fighting with them...
    It's like in other Stealth game such as Metal Gear or Deus Ex: you should remain quit and hide yourself, but you can use weapons if you wish :)

30. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Well if it's just like other stealth games then what makes this one special then? Are Metal Gear or Deus Ex available on the platforms you want to publish on? I still don't see what makes your game that different or interesting.

31. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Well, the thing is that there is almost no stealth game with Metal Gear gameplay on iOS. There are a few stealth games in 3D such as Riddick, or Deus Ex, but in both the gameplay are pretty different than mine.

The main idea behind the game was to provide the feelings of the first metal gear about the stealth gameplay, on mobile. As in Metal Gear, you are evolving a in a "world", not in some levels/missions. There are as well some Zelda-like enigmas, and the hero gets new skills/objects along the way allowing him to go to new places.

So you can see it as a kind of adventure/action game with some stealth gameplay.

And anyway, I am doing all of this alone, so even if it's not the most original game I would happy to finish and release it :)

32. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Fair enough. At least I can't compare your project with anything I've seen here. The only other thing about a lot of fantasy games I see here is that everyone's dungeon is literally better lit than my own home. LOL, seriously... candle light isn't that bright or consistent.

33. cdosrun

cdosrun

It looks great indeed, if you are a one man developer, and you have real plans to release it, my suggestion is to focus in the core concept, and leave everything else! If it's a stealth game, make it stealth, don't focus on fight, puzzles or any other mechanic that could end in a stealth-puzzle-action-rpg game.
    Other than that it looks great :)

34. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I just submitted the game to the Appstore :)

Here are some screenshots of the final game, and a live gameplay video.

35. AthosK

AthosK

Very nice, I would like to try that but iOS is a turn down for me. Do you plan any other release?

36. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I may port it to Android :)

37. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

I'm currently working on the trailer. What do you think about it?

38. Seventh Stealth

Seventh Stealth

So ... Are we gonna fight a massive nuclear tank at the end:p

39. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

40. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

41. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti