Search Unity

Staying Together: A puzzle platformer about relationships

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TheValar, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I might be jumping the gun a bit here since I have no idea what it takes to actually get my finished game to the public. I have no idea how to implement google's admob sdk nor how to actually publish to Android, iOS, Windows 8 and the Google Play Store. I'm just making a rough estimate of my game's hopeful release! My game will be finished in the next few days, but I'm sure there's some requirements for publishing to the stores.

- Chris

2. TheValar

TheValar

I know what you mean, I kinda feel the same way. On the one hand I think it looks nice but on the other hand the clean and simple "untextured" look has a lot to be said for it as well.

3. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I've learned that sometimes simplicity is better than perfection. It's of course easier than perfection! ;)

- Chris

4. TheValar

TheValar

Just pushed an update with some graphical enhancements which include...

- a proper semi-transparent background texture
    - parallax scrolling (not as easy as it sounds with this camera setup)
    - a subtle vignette overlay in the foreground

NomadKing likes this.
  5. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I must say the background looks much better! There is a little more contrast between the background and the objects, which is an added benefit. I'm still waiting for the level to be displayed during gameplay... ;)

I also like the parallax scrolling and the fading in and out between levels a lot! It makes you feel closer to the characters, which makes it more interesting to play!

- Chris

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. adrianrodriguez

adrianrodriguez

I just got a look at this game and played it a bit during work and had to stop because of how addicting it got. Really amazing work. Keep it up. (time to play some more haha)

7. TheValar

TheValar

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Also glad you stepped away before getting busted lol

8. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

You mean you haven't beaten it yet!? :O

- Chris

9. TheValar

TheValar

Working on a big update this weekend!
    heartUpdateTeaser.png heartPickup.png

Blue Bean Apps and NomadKing like this.
  10. casimps1

casimps1

This looks pretty great! Will definitely have to keep an eye out for this one.

TheValar likes this.
  11. TheValar

TheValar

Ok an updated web player build is up with hearts to gather in every level. If you don't have a full heart on on levels you have not beaten it yet :p Hopefully this can add a layer of challenge and replay-ability for those who want it!
    heartsInMenuChapter1.png

NomadKing likes this.
  12. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Looks great!! So now you have to search the entire level... This will make it much harder to speed run... ;) Have you thought about including a timer in each level to display the time you've been working on that level? Still waiting for the level # to be displayed in the levels... :)

Keep up the great work!

- Chris

13. TheValar

TheValar

Yeah I may do a timed mode as well. Level number is on the pause screen and the zoomed out level view

14. TheValar

TheValar

NomadKing likes this.
  15. NomadKing

NomadKing

I think he sums up the game pretty well :)

16. TheValar

TheValar

Yes the author did a better job than me summing thing up lol. I wish I could copy paste portions of the article for my description

NomadKing likes this.
  17. TheValar

TheValar

Working on some changes to hearts. Want to have just 3 per level so it makes more sense (one pickup per "shard" in the indicator) if that makes sense. Along with that I'm thinking about having the pickups be actual pieces rather than full hearts. Here's my two iterations so far. Thoughts?
    heartShardOption1.png heartShardOption2.png

18. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

It's an accurate review.

In my opinion, I think the shards look better than the whole heart because they just look more natural. To use another Zelda reference, when you collect a Triforce shard, you don't see the whole Triforce greyed out behind it. Instead you see just the shard itself. Plus, I'm not sure if it's just me, but it can get a little tricky to see the greyed out portion of the heart when it's on the purple background since the shade of purple you're using in the background isn't that different from the grey you're using for the hearts. With that said, I like the top image better. :)

PS: I've noticed you added the level # on the pause screen. Glad to see that put in there!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would really prefer to have just three shards per level because (1) as you said, it would make more sense, (2) it would be easier to speed run and just to simply play and (3) sometimes there are just too many shards to deal with and it can get rather repetitive, so keeping it low would be nice.

Also, as I predicted in a prior comment, it is MUCH harder to speed run now! I'm currently taking a break at level 9! Would you mind too much if I were to make a speed run video of your completed game (or near completed) and upload it to YouTube? If you want, I could also make a normal-speed walkthrough, unless you've already got that covered.

- Chris

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  19. NomadKing

NomadKing

I actually prefer the sharded look to the hearts (without the grey heart container). It may just be personal preference, but I like the sense of 'completing' something that it implies.

20. TheValar

TheValar

Yeah those were my thoughts. So you like the first image more?

21. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I agree completely.

I know I do!

- Chris

22. eelstork

eelstork

Definitely gonna give it a try, ping me if I don't.

TheValar likes this.
  23. NomadKing

NomadKing

Yup. :)

24. Kelde

Kelde

Valar man, ive seen u around alot and i must say, u never stop impressing me. This is a GREAT game, the idea is sound and the artwork has charm. I do agree that the art could use some work, and i'd seriously LOVE to do the art for this entire game if it ever came to that. The game has meaning, and will probably connect with some people aswell.

Lovely stuff man, ur my new hero:D

Blue Bean Apps likes this.
  25. TheValar

TheValar

Wow thanks Kelde. That seriously means a lot coming from you. I'm majorly in awe of your mad art skills! I'm responding to your pm now :D

26. TheValar

TheValar

New webplayer with the redone "fragmented" heart system :D

You may find your saved data to be weird and messed up. I revamped the way level progression is stored so yeah... sorry about that

27. TheValar

TheValar

new build today with a Hardcore Mode! You unlock hardcore mode for a chapter when you beat all levels 100%. Hardcore mode is no pause, no restart, no level view, must collect all hearts to beat level and death sends you back to level 1. It is pretty difficult and not for the faint of heart :D

HardcoreMode.png

28. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Very creative! This will be real fun to speed run! :D

- Chris

29. TheValar

TheValar

thanks @Blue Bean Apps!
    Another update. Finally added a settings menu. Pretty basic just toggling music and sound fx. I also added an option to enable "simple background". This removes a some of the fancy background stuff in favor of a small performance boost. This is mostly for mobile devices.

30. Eks-Squared

Eks-Squared

I found that everything about the game felt very polished and well designed, especially the user interface. The game is very charming and I felt like smiling every time I got them both in the goal area. Excellent work.

31. TheValar

TheValar

Wow thanks a lot! It's a good day if something I created makes someone smile :D

32. NomadKing

NomadKing

Wow, that does sound pretty hardcore! I'm sure it won't be for everyone, but there are bound to be people who'll enjoy that kind of challenge :)

Blue Bean Apps and TheValar like this.
  33. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Yeah, people like me! :)

- Chris

34. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

@TheValar, have you beaten the hardcore mode yet? :p

- Chris

35. Kelde

Kelde

Bloody hell, i must be too stupid to complete this game!:p man some of the levels are hard!

Moar coffeys!

36. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

HA! What a noob! :p I've already beaten it! :D Stupid game took over 2 weeks to beat... Practice makes perfect.

- Chris

37. Kelde

Kelde

Ive been painting graphics all day, i think im just gonna hit the sack:p something CLEARLY isnt working in my skullcavity today!

38. TheValar

TheValar

So far I've just beaten the first chapter hardcore but I haven't invested too much time into that just yet.

39. TheValar

TheValar

What level did you get stuck on? It may be helpful if something that is meant to be obvious is not obvious.

40. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I got to level 7 before i gave up.

41. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

:D First chapter complete with all 3 hearts! I'll start the second chapter tomorrow!

You should update your screenshots in your first post because they are now missing the heart meter and your title screenshot is missing the hardcore button, so the layout is wrong.

- Chris

42. TheValar

TheValar

I'm back at it this weekend and just pushed out a small update with a few bug fixes. Getting closer and closer to the finish line. Really want to get this out the door and really want it to not suck :p

43. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Believe me... it won't suck. ;)

NomadKing and TheValar like this.
  44. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

How are you doing, TheValar? You haven't done anything with this thread for a while now. Everything alright?

Chemaxmax likes this.
  45. TheValar

TheValar

Still alive and well :D Not much to report so I haven't posted anything for a while. Still aiming for a January release. Currently waiting on text translations. Staying Together will be available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and French. Possibly other languages as well.

NomadKing likes this.
  46. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

It's funny you plan on a January release. I'm plan to release Swimmy on January 3rd. I'm just funny that we both intend to release our games in the same month. :)

How are you translating the game? Through Google Translate or some other translating service? ;)

47. TheValar

TheValar

Ok small update! I've started to pave the way for controller support which first meant making sure all UI was navigable without a mouse or touchscreen. Sounds easy but since i didn't design for it in the beginning it was quite tedious to accomplish. You'll also see in this build the UI implementation for IAP but rest assured on the Webplayer you cannot actually spend money. Just click the purchase button and the levels will be unlocked.

48. TheValar

TheValar

Just updated the Webplayer build again with controller support!!! I've only tested it with an xbox360 controller but in theory it should support many types. I used the excellent plugin InControl

NomadKing likes this.
  49. TheValar

TheValar

NomadKing likes this.
  50. TheValar

TheValar

NomadKing likes this.