Search Unity

Status update on new Input System?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by PhilSA, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Any more update?

I cant stress how ridiculous it is how long we have had to wait for a new input system.

I mean i cant even use the term "behind the times" because that would imply that any real timeline has been stuck to. The truth is it has been years and the input system has not really changed.

You really need to consider a short term fix for this, I have specifically NOT subscribed to pro because of 3-4 main problems with unity engine feature development over the last few years:

Terrain system basically unchanged compared to other engines - 2008/2009 tech
    No nested prefabs STILL
    Only finally getting the mono upgrades
    Input system is still 2008 tech essentially.

Its a shame but the lack of faith in the engine team also means im unlikely to pay for unity services either.

Flavelius likes this.
  2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Anything? Been a full week since my last message, would be great to get an official update seeing as nothing has been said since the last very vague update.

EDIT: that last update was over 3 weeks ago, and at that point people were already at breaking point on this issue. This is not the way to handle this issue, not when its gone on for so long.

Talk to us.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    MrEsquire, Peter77 and Ostwind like this.
  3. runevision

runevision

I hear you. I'm waiting for it as much as you are.

4. MechEthan

MechEthan

Sorry man, hang in there. Your efforts & communication are appreciated even if its not "the answer"

dadude123, frarf, landon912 and 2 others like this.
  5. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

At least it's not as bad as nested prefabs (and currently hasn't taken as long as the new UI system did!)

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

don't jinx it

7. Ferazel

Ferazel

Wow, I have to say that this is really disappointing. I need to say that Unity takes FOREVER on features and as a user this feels really disorganized and disheartening. Instead of releasing something sub-optimal, they get feedback and freak out. They iterate and chew on it, then they throw it all out. Start with a new implementation that is already behind schedule and then they release something that is still lacking in some critical areas because they had to rush their second implementation. This happened with the UI, some of the 2D features (smart sprites, hex tilemaps, etc.), and other features. I realize that you don't want to support a poor implementation for years to come, and you're trying to set a "new standard" of implementation. It will be very unlikely to nail an implementation out of the gate, and you won't unless you break this cycle that you put your features under. Please break this vicious cycle and just iterate on the feature in the experimental namespace.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    landon912, orb, NoUJoe and 5 others like this.
  8. orb

orb

The input system is their DNF. It has taken forever and looks nowhere near ready. If it ever appears I certainly hope they also start supporting Mfi on macOS, because that's something they literally don't want to support now - no doubt due to the pit of darkness which is the current input code. And no, suggesting paid extensions on the store is never good enough. Sensible input is something which should have been implemented years ago.

9. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Hertzole and PhilSA like this.