Search Unity

Feedback State of URP 12

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by hippocoder, Jul 24, 2021.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...rsal@12.0/manual/whats-new/urp-whats-new.html

I invite readers to scroll down and look at the new features one by one. Then see the history on the left, for version 11, then version 10. URP has been coming along steadily, quietly plugging away and here we are.

People really need to appreciate that there's now a serious amount of goodness in URP. I'm very pleased with it and recommend people adopt it over built-in especially if you DON'T want to go third party on asset store, but there are a few last sticking points.

We're at something I believe can easily compete with HDRP for most practical game titles, however that's competing with Unity's own tech, rather than other engines. There's still much to be done to make it just perfect and dependable.

The only sticking points would be a lack of a strong surface shader system with control over final pixel colour, and of course optimisations. I can't get enough of those and hope you'll push the performance too - on a constant basis.

Unity's own staff proved on twitter just how much more perf is available with URP, even without DOTS. People want the engine to do that, because only a minority of smart developers can do that now. So please think about performance improvements being a big feature that you add every so often.

I hope URP gets a bigger budget as it's truly got potential to become it's namesake.

Thanks!