Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

State of DOTS in 2022.x cycle

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Deleted User, Dec 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seems after installing DOTS packages in 2022.1 alpha you still get errors just like 2021.x cycle:

https://ibb.co/nzWLdCC

https://ibb.co/Y7Sccnz

Will DOTS in 2022.x cycle be just like its predecessor that's 2021.x cycle? This is really concerning about the future of DOTS; If 2022.x will be just like 2021.x, that means we're not getting a compatible version release even in the year 2022! Let alone the packages haven't even been updated for almost an entire year!

What's exactly happening with DOTS management? Where's the dedicated team behind it? There should be better communication/handling of this situation across the board! Don't leave us in the dark, Unity!

Attached Files:

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

it's actually not exactly the same question, this one is regarding 2022.x cycle.. because it's compatible with 2020.x and before, but not 2021.x.. and this is asking will it be like 2021.x or not..

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems fine then I will leave this where it is, and you can make another thread there if you wish.

Deleted User likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Alright, thanks! :D

hippocoder likes this.
  6. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Dont use Hybrid Renderer. The Entities package though works perfectly (-ish) well in 2022.1 A16.

DOTS Inspector package (the improved in-editor inspector for Entities) broke sometime around 2022.1 A14 with a UIElements / UIToolkit rename of certain elements so you'll be forced to use the dinosaur version.

There are some pre-existing issues in Entities like the batch divider for IJobEntityBatch throwing a null reference exception in certain cases where batch count is greater than 1 (also exists in 2020.3 LTS), and some other issues I cant recall off the top of my head but otherwise it compiles and builds 100% fine.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

But how can we render entities without the hybrid renderer?

8. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

That's the neat part, you don't. To be more specific, don't convert them to entities. Handle the data Entities side, then in a monobehavior, pull data from Entities individually and update the translations or whatever manually.

Or use IJobParallelTransform for many entities.

Physics of course will be a challenge to incorporate but I thankfully dont use physics. All my raycasting and clicking is handled via shaders.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is what I got in 2022.1 release notes
    HDRP: Added: Added minimal picking support for DOTS 1.0 (on parity with Hybrid Renderer V2).

URP: Added: Added Adaptive Performance Decals scaler.

URP: Added: Added minimal picking support for DOTS 1.0 (on parity with Hybrid Renderer V2).

Does it means 2022.1 b will have DOTS 1.0????

Scoth_ and Deleted User like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope it's not typo, I hope it's true!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2021
    Deleted User likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

To be fair, I guess they meant something else by "1.0", I don't think they mean it as it might look(out of preview/verified). DOTS is still waaay too early/experimental, it's more like in alpha or even pre-alpha! It's a true shame that it's still in this state even after ~4 years from announcing it!

Not trying to be pessimistic, but, It's more like 0.1 than 1.0!

I believe there will be some "good" work on DOTS generally in 2022.x cycle, but unfortunately even in 2022, it's still not likely to be verified, yet! More like in 2023/2024 era..

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked for topic drift. Speculation, conversation and chit-chat are not acceptable on alpha or beta forums. The purpose is only product/feature feedback and bugs for that version of Unity only, for the benefit of the developers at Unity, so they can fix it and our games/products work better.

Nothing else.

NotaNaN likes this.
  14. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi everybody, I am happy to share some new information about DOTS over here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.