Search Unity

State Driven Camera Freezing

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Radiago, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Radiago

Radiago

I'm having an issue in v2.1 RC3 where occasionally, and seemingly at random, some of the states in my state driven camera stop following my player character. So I'll be walking around and all of a sudden the camera freezes but the character keeps moving. If go into sneak mode that camera works fine but I go back into normal mode and it's still froze. After a few seconds, it will eventually unfreeze and continue to follow my character properly but this is really jarring. Has anyone else seen anything like this, have any tips on some implementation I might have missed?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you package up a little repro project that shows this? We haven't seen this issue before.

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Little!!! Holey moley!

upload_2017-10-23_17-27-9.png

ouch.
    ;)

4. Radiago

Radiago

Ok, over in this thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cm-v2-1-release-candidate.497202/page-2#post-3263544

y'all were talking about different camera update methods and how blending between fixed and late did funky things and maybe choosing one over the other would be better if possible. When I switched to fixed update (as the character has a rigidbody and the animator does the physics update) I was no longer able to reproduce the behavior.

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This is consistent with what I'm seeing in your project. I was able to repro the freezing when the scene starts. Changing Brain to FixedUpdate made the freezing go away. I also tested it with the new CM RC7 (not yet posted on the forum) that contains a fix for the update problem from the other thread. The fix stops the freezing here, so SmartUpdate should be ok to use starting with the next RC.

Radiago likes this.
  6. Radiago

Radiago

Awesome! Honestly this plugin has been so great, and having you be so responsive to us devs helping us make it all work is one of the biggest reasons why I love working with Unity. Good job!