Search Unity

Starting with VR

Discussion in 'VR' started by JJ_FX, Sep 30, 2019.

1. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Hi there!

So I've been developing a game for android for almost a year now. And since its 3d game controlled with rotating objects on 2d screen, a lot of people are having problems figuring out how to control objects within the game. I have tested different controls, but always it gets to the point that I think people are just confused when controlling rotations of 3d objects on a flat 2d space.

So I though that maybe I should try to continue the game for VR. However I don't know much about VR development. There are different VR sets and it looks like different stores. Oculus sells with facebook, valve have their own, you can run VR on PC, consoles or just by itself (oculus). This raises some questions.

Android or iOS development is pretty straightforward, mostly you just have to worry about screen aspect ratio on different devices, but that's it. VR seams to be more differentiated.

I was thinking to start with oculus since google tells me its the most populat headset. However if I buy $650AUD headset I want to make sure that VR development is not a pain int the *** and I don't need a whole team of people to deliver a simple rotating cube game :p

What are your experiences with developing games for VR? Any tips for a beginner?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Corysia

Corysia

If you decide to go with Oculus, then I recommend you buy a Quest. With the recent announcements at OC6, the Quest is going to be the 'bridge' headset between wired and wireless VR. The Quest, by itself, is an Android platform running VR apps locally. But with this new Oculus Link announced, it can also double as a wired headset, using a PC's video card to drive higher-end graphics. So, it's like getting two headsets for the price of one.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Yes I was actually thinking about Quest. However when I looked into the store for Quest... there's not much stuff there. It might be because it's a new product. Or is the store very restrictive?

EDIT: I just found this very useful link https://developer.oculus.com/ that answers some of my questions. But from the first look the development is rather friendly

However the content restrictions are very subjective

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. Corysia

Corysia

The Quest has only been out for four months. In November, it'll be able to tether to a PC and play Rift content (with the PC's GPU) as well as stand-alone Quest games. Yes, the bar to get on to the Oculus Store with Quest titles is higher.

So, if you want to target mobile VR, your only choices are Go, Quest, and Cardboard/Daydream.

5. JJ_FX

JJ_FX

Yeap, I went for the Quest. It will be delivered next week. So Im super excited. I will probably spend whole weekend finishing the assets so I can start testing out how things look right away!