Search Unity

starting Unity 2019.2.12f1 (64-bit) and i cant find the lighmapping feature..

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mitmiticeman123, Nov 19, 2019.

1. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

in the guide i got from udemy he simply get into "windows" and click on lightmapping so easly. also he use unity 5.
    i use Unity 2019.2.12f1 (64-bit) and the interface is alil diffrent but i noticed there some missing stuff like lightmapping..
    i need to to the toutrial and what not. all i can find is light explorer and light setting.
    please help me, or i need to download the lastest beta i saw on the site? please help

2. mgear

mgear

Probably this window,
    Windows / Rendering / Lighting settings

3. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

nope. its not the same , not at all. its cant bake the image i want..
    any other help?

4. mgear

mgear

can you take screenshot?

in unity 5.6, Windows menu has these, he could have some editor plugin that adds extra menus,
    upload_2019-11-19_14-14-30.png

5. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

listen guys, in the toutrial there is an option called " light mapping". and its diffrent then light setting or what ever,
    the fact is i cant baked with those settings couse i need to find the " light mapping".
    in the toutrial he simply go to " windows" > "lightmapping". he doing it to bake some objects , i cant bake with my unity version.

6. konsic

konsic

Window > Rendering > Light Settings > Baked lightmaps

s56.JPG

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Generally speaking the best version to use with a tutorial series is the version the author uses. Since he's on Unity 5 the best version is Unity 5. That said it's a very old release at this point. There will be a lot of minor differences like this one which means the best thing is to pick a different series. Some of what you learn with a tutorial this old won't be valid.

8. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

not to big diffrence. its not that old. i see people used it this year

9. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

yes right, but the tab is empty. i cant bake any thing. it is just an empty tab, grey area and nothing i can click on.

10. konsic

konsic

You have to use Enlighten or Progressive lightmapper to generate lightmaps first.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

You've only barely scratched the surface with Unity. Try using physics in Unity 5 and then try them in Unity 2019. For a project I'm currently working on the cloth we had set up in several scenes was completely broken and would have had to been remade from scratch.

Furthermore Unity 5 is stuck without any of the new rendering (Universal & High Definition Render Pipelines) and scripting tech (Unity DOTS) that was released with the most recent versions. Both of these make a tremendous difference in what you can achieve with Unity.

Basically deciding to use Unity 5 now would be like deciding to use Windows 95 now. Yes, you can use it and even be productive, but when it comes time to use the latest releases there will be major things you need to learn (as well as unlearn because it's no longer applicable to newer releases) because the older release missed them.

It is when you consider that this industry is only 40 years old. In a time frame of 40 years we went from games made by individuals with monochrome graphics and little to no sound to games made by hundreds (a thousand in the case of Rockstar) of developers having realtime raytracing and orchestrated sound.

Five years (1/8th the lifespan of the industry) in this industry is the same as decades in engineering (1/8th the lifespan of that industry is 80 years). Five years ago a four core processor was the upper limit of consumer desktops. Today for the same price you can buy a processor with twelve cores. In theory that's triple the performance.

Yes and no. Some people use it but that's because they have existing projects they need to maintain. Anyone creating a new project shouldn't be using Unity 5 unless their clients have very oddball requirements (eg Windows XP).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. mitmiticeman123

mitmiticeman123

i see. well i figured it out where and how to bake, but now the problem its not baked,
    in toutrial he simple placeing the object> add directional light> add hard shadow and clikcs on bake or genarate light.
    after that he delits the light source and the objects still looks enlighten, im my case the objects turns dark after i delete the light source..
    please any one can help? just make no sense