Search Unity

Starting to work with GearVR - bad build setup?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by ccklokwerks, Aug 18, 2017.

1. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

Hi all,

I am trying to get ANYTHING to work with Gear VR. I just followed the steps of a tutorial on youtube for an INCREDIBLY simple project and that also doesn't work, so I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my build setup:

(1) (For other reasons) I am currently using 5.5.1p4
    (2) I have been building on a Mac, to Android
    (3) I made an osig file for the phone and have been sure to build with VR enabled and Oculus in the list of SDKs
    (4) Because building to device has been a bit wonky (i.e. Unity crashed on me) I have been using my standard Android development route of uploading the APK to an FTP site and then downloading it over the web.
    (5) I certainly don't get a "insert phone into the headset" message or anything like that...

Do I need to be building on PC?

Thanks!

2. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

3. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

Um... I feel like you didn't read my post. :(

4. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

I read it all.

And you just made me read it all again, checking if I had missed the part where you write "I read all official docs at this link" or something, but all I read is:

From your above word "also" I can infer you may have absorbed some other info, but what I can only assume.

So have you followed through all official docs?

I have yet to buy a GalaxyS8 so I know nothing about setting up to build for GearVR, required OS etc. but I do know this:

If you follow all official docs to the letter, yes it can be rather tedious but at least you start on a firm foundation (most of the time).

P.S.
    To be a good coder you must be more Borg like, emotions waste Joules. <JK>:D:p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  5. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

Well I think the fundamental problem was trying to make the app on a Mac. I think that just does not work. The information on this is a little foggy and I wish Unity would just not list Oculus as a build option when building on a Mac if it isn't going to work.

To be more specific, I set up the Android SDK on a PC, took the same OSIG file I had been using and put it into the Unity VRSample project, and that worked. Even without the OSIG file, at least when I ran the app on the Android, it indicated that I was supposed to insert the headset. (Running in debug mode will also work.)

I have to figure out why my *own* app isn't rendering, though.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not sure if you need to use FTP. You can use your USB cable, and use "adb install mygame.apk" . That's what I do.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017