Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Archviz

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Dextavier, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Dextavier

Dextavier

Hi Everyone

I’ve just downloaded Unity, and to start with I really just want a pre-made first-person walk-around I can drop buildings/assets in. I’m not concerned about ‘interactivity’ other than being able to walk around the buildings.

This is an important first step for me – as I’m primarily a designer, I’d like something I can expand upon at a later date once I've learned a little code and scripting, but I’d prefer to do it this way round in order to see tangible progress from the outset. For the sake of clarity, I’ll be importing 3D objects from Modo, so don’t require the ability to create objects in Unity.

The main stumbling block seems to be the sheer abundance of available assets - most seem made for fast-paced FPS. Would these be suitable for an archviz-style project?

Apologies if I’m wide of the mark or if this is the four-thousandth time someone has asked this question – I’m just slightly overwhelmed with the variety of assets available and hoped for a guiding hand

2. jhocking

jhocking

For a completely brain-dead first-person walkthrough just look in the Standard Assets for character controllers. Going any further would require you to learn some scripting (look in the Learn section and/or check out my book) but Unity comes with an example FPS controller for artists to use.

3. Dextavier

Dextavier

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for - as simple as possible to start with. It's just along process to absorb so much information, and adding learning to program into the mix would mean without initial help it would be months before I managed to get anything done.