Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting and Stopping Animations within a controller from script

Discussion in 'Animation' started by crash664, Jan 5, 2016.

1. crash664

crash664

Hi all,

I have an abject with an Animator attached. I have several states in which the object transitions between repeatedly. It is possible for the user to stop the object, interact with it, and then choose to send it back to where it is.

I can successfully stop the animatior (state) that it is on with

Code (CSharp):
    1. GetComponent<Animator>().Stop();
    However, when I wish to send the object back to the starting position, and resume the state cycle from the first in the sequence, I try using:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GetComponent<Animator>().Play("StateName");
    and it doesn't start the animator again. The layer index and normalizedTime are both default variables so that shouldn't matter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you're using Unity 5.3, Animator has a new ancestor class, DirectorPlayer. DirectorPlayer.Stop() stops the entire player. I think you need to use DirectorPlayer.Play(playable) before using Animator.Play(state). Instead, what about just setting Animator.speed to 0?

3. crash664

crash664

These methods seem to be in the Experimental class and I'm not sure of how one would tie the DirectorPlayer to the Animator on my object.

Also, changing the speed to 0 just make the animator appear to stop. I need to stop it completely so that I can have the object perform other actions.

Desired functionality is as follows:

Object is moving by animation --> Stop Animation --> Interaction with object somehow --> when done interacting, return object to starting position (start of animation) and start the animator from the beginning.

Thanks for you reply! :)

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

I haven't played around much with the changes that Unity 5.3 made to the Animator class. But, according to the documentation, Animator is now a subclass of Experimental.Director.DirectorPlayer. When you call:
    Code (csharp):
    1. GetComponent<Animator>().Stop();
    you're actually calling DirectorPlayer.Stop(). Presumably you need to call DirectorPlayer.Play(playable) before calling Animator.Play("stateName"). I have to confess that, since I haven't really dug into these new 5.3 features yet, I have no idea at the moment what a Playable is. pierrepaul posted an example last summer, but I haven't looked at it yet.

crash664 likes this.
  5. crash664

crash664

I couldn't figure that out yet, but in the end I figured out that I could simply set the enabled property of the Animator component to false. I saved it's position when disabled, then when I re-enable it, the animator resumes from when it was disabled. So I just send the object back to that location (for cosmetic purposes).

Thanks for your help. Hopefully they're working on the Mechanim stuff. It has great potential ;D

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Oh, that might be a change in 5.3. I think in previous versions of Unity when you disabled and re-enabled an Animator all of the parameters would be reset. Anyway, glad it's working now!

7. Appathon

Appathon

Try
    gameObject.GetComponent<Animator> ().Rebind ();

8. dudzman

dudzman

this is the right answer!

alihimdis likes this.
  9. durukanozanalp

durukanozanalp

i can kiss you!

PKillerio likes this.
  10. PKillerio

PKillerio

I was just having trouble with my weapon management system with my fps game and have been debugging it for hours THANK YOUUUU:)

*the problem I had was that my weapon system works on activating and deactivating the weapon object and when I was mid animation and changed the weapons the animator took that frozen animation as a starting point for all animations and was always returning to that broken frozen state when I returned to that weapon once again (activated it) and reloaded f.e.. The solution I implemented was using my knowledge of which weapon I am going to deactivate and then apply your code on it. Thank you again....

11. mdrunk

mdrunk

still relevant in 2020.

12. nagybotond123

nagybotond123

Thank you, it helped me a lot :)

13. codemaker2015

codemaker2015

Stop() method is obsolete in Unity 2019 or greater versions. So use enabled flag and set it to false for disable the animation.

Code (CSharp):
    1. gameObject.GetComponent<Animator>().enabled = false;

jessicanam likes this.
  14. Henzig

Henzig

For anybody who finds this as I did and wants to pause all animation within an animatorController.

I ended up using this instead and it does exactly what I was looking for:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. animationSpeed = GetComponent<Animator>().speed;
    3. animationSpeed = 0; // Paused Game
    4. animationSpeed = 1; // UnPaused Game

ALIENPANDA and JDawg666 like this.
  15. jonathandion1994

jonathandion1994

My hero!

16. UnityZaki

UnityZaki

Thank you so much you save me

17. Jh2556

Jh2556

This was what I was looking for . Still works as a solution. Thanks!

marinius313 likes this.
  18. pe86ki

pe86ki

Thank you, this is works even in 2022

DungDajHjep and marinius313 like this.
  19. chaitanya222

chaitanya222

This helped a lot. Thanks