Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting/Activating Unity 2019 without using UnityHub (if it fails to start)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by laurentOngaro, Jan 6, 2020.

1. laurentOngaro

laurentOngaro

I've managed to start unity 2019 without UnityHub installed ( because the latest version is not working on my arch linux system, see my previous post here).

For that:
    • download unity 2019 linux installer
    • download unity 2018 linux installer
    • install unity 2019
    • install unity 2018
    At this point unity 2019 will refuse to start because it requires a valid license and without unityHub, you can't get one.
    So :
    • start unity 2018 (UnityHub is not required )
    • install / activate your license as usual
    • start unity 2019 and it will recognize your license, no need to have a valid unityHub installation.

tobsam likes this.
  2. GingerTails

GingerTails

did u install both version in different folders?

3. tobsam

tobsam

This was the ONLY method that actually fixed my broken Unity license...

4. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Thank you for this.

On some of our computers, Unity 2019 simply stopped launching and has only a silent crash error in the log (with no mention of a licensing issue). Unfortunately, this exact version is needed for a client project. And I know Unity well enough to know that a license issue is happening.

SO, testing different 2019 versions revealed a bit more log information. Two things became obvious:
    #1 - Some version of the Hub had a tendency to corrupt a JSON file (user-services-config.json) which causes their license service to crash.
    #2 - Even with that fixed, 2019 ignores the new license service anyway (compatibility? who knows), and tries to use the older activation method... when that fails, instead of what 2018 did (allow you to enter a code) it just ... silently fails. It seems to register all our newer hub activations as invalid. Fails on the old activation, and doesn't have the ability to resolve it. It then causes a silent crash in an unsolvable cycle.

SO - running a 2018 editor finally detected a missing or invalid (old method) license and finally allowed us to re-enter it. Now 2019 works again - Thank you.

What an annoying process :D It is a good thing something like license activation isn't important to using the product. Jebus have mercy on the souls of others encountering this issue.

crekri and JimWebs like this.