Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a new Youtube channel - Taking requests for content

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by SaveRoomDev, Sep 4, 2022.

1. SaveRoomDev

SaveRoomDev

Hey everyone!

My name is Christian, I'm a very experienced Unity developer with over 12 years of full-time professional experience. I've worked on non-game projects, published solo games, led small indie teams, as well as led a team of developers on one of the biggest VR games out there. I've had my work showcased by Unity at GDC multiple times as well as won a Unite award.

I'm starting the next journey in my life by creating a Youtube channel and a community to help teach others. There's already a good amount of learning content out there, but many tutorials I've seen out there can either teach bad habits, or don't touch on important areas that employers want to see. My content will be geared towards "Career-Ready Game Development" and I'm already starting to record content.

I'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone has specific areas that they'd like covered, or perhaps you want to understand a topic on a more in-depth level. My main areas of focus are general gameplay programming, networking, advanced optimization, VR/AR/MR (headset based), characters and animation systems, system architecture, planning and team management, but I've touched almost everything at one point or another.

Looking forward to your requests!

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Personally love how bigger worlds get optimized and the approaches they take. And maybe some smaller tricks etc which isn't covered a lot on the surface.
    Love VR and maybe some VR specific design aspects. Many times people just slap on a VR camera onto a 'normal' game and call it a day, which just isn't a great VR experience.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a guide. Love to see the concepts explained and showed with source in the description when needed.

Acerola has some great videos about grass for examples. Loved watching those and learning from them.

Feel free to share the channel btw!

If you want to do a VR stream one day together on my channel Dev Dunk as well let me know :p

SaveRoomDev likes this.
  3. SaveRoomDev

SaveRoomDev

Thanks for the reply! Yes, larger/open worlds can make just about every aspect of development more difficult lol. I have worked on an open-world survival horror game before and it brought many challenges. Level streaming, NPC simulation when too far from the player, spatial partitioning NPC vision, managing memory, avoiding massive load times (I had to fix a 20 minute load time once lol) just to name a few.

This would be a great topic to cover! Thanks for suggestion :D

Channel is going to be called "Save Room" (an homage to Resident Evil save rooms lol). Awesome to already connect with another content creator :)

DevDunk likes this.