Search Unity

Question Startin again with URP or HDRP?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Funwill, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Funwill

Funwill

After a good start on my 3D open world, i stumbled on a graphical restriction when tryin to create a sea of clouds borderin my world. Had to have either URP or HDRP for the use of dynamic vertical fog asset, and it made me wonder about the future of my game.

I'll surely stumble against other graphical restrictions, wich leads me to ponder about URP and HDRP. For any long-term project of a 3D world, they seem mandatory. HDRP seems to be more 'elitist' for our actual platforms, but can't we expect some kind of its 'democratization' and standadization to come, makin it the choice to start with now, and avoidin future hassle of whole reconversions?

Do you have any insight about it?

Cheers!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Don't act on expectations when it comes to Unity.

3. Funwill

Funwill

Could we expect at least the reliability of upgradin from one renderin pipeline to another?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

See my previous reply.

5. PutridEx

PutridEx

Upgrading in terms of materials will be easy if you're using the 'standard' material, otherwise you'll have to do it manually.

6. Funwill

Funwill

Ok, wasn't expectin much, and didn't get much. Tried to upgrade my project from built in renderin pipeline to the universal one, followed the tuto, had my project converted to URP. When playin the scene, about one third of the textures were all pink. Tried use the render piprline converter in window, with my assets converted. Some were normal, others badly altered, and others still pink.

Tried to restart a new project from core URP. Had to The first object i created was pink. Converted it succesfully. Had to reuse 'manually' the converter for the second object i created, a prefab imported pink also. After conversion, it was badly altered, with bad colors and textures.

So, usin URP seems to greatly jeopardize my selection of assets, leavin many good ones on the roadside. Or am i missin somethin? And will the builtin RP assets keeps on bein produced, or to becomes rarer and rarer?

It seems important to me to know at least a bit of what to expect from the choices of my projects, and their future feasability or possibilities. Even if we can't see everythin.

7. tleylan

tleylan

There are multiple goals in all software projects, keeping current is one, not breaking stuff is another. Decisions you make often meet one and conflict with another. Getting ahead of the curve is (generally speaking) not something one does if one doesn't have a large staff, lots of money and a project that can return on that investment.

I think URP is the natural target these days particularly if it satisfies your requirements. Usage is growing so far as I know and assets will follow that trend.

This is no different if you were developing in JavaScript and relied an old version of jQuery or your favorite logging library was deprecated. You need to upgrade or find a replacement and that will involve the change of some code.

There are limits to what a tool can provide when transitioning. If there is a one-to-one translation it can do it but if the setting you used is no longer available there might be two options in the newer version and if your old one is customized you pretty much have to take control of the situation.

8. Funwill

Funwill

Yes, i'm totally backin your point, and havin restarted my project with a URP 3D core. URP seemin a good middle way, between a builtin RP gettin deprecated, and a high end HDRP.

Maybe the importance of render pipeline is not stressed enough on gettin started with unity, or maybe i just missed it.

Thxs for your insight! :)