Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request start distance for fog

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Aug 6, 2021.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

Need start and end distance for fog.

start being the distance away from the camera, that fog starts showing up in.
    Similar to height fog in built-in & URP.

This is very useful and important to heavily fog out far away terrain/geometry, without having any fog effect elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    AntonioModer and Deleted User like this.
  2. Ruchir

Ruchir

I think unity needs some more feature in HDRP fog system as well:
    • Some kind of subtractive volume (really need them sometimes)
    • Support for some more primitive fog volumes (like a sphere or capsule as blending doesn't exactly match these shapes, and using 3d textures uses extra GPU memory that can be saved using these shapes and having CSG like layer system instead (if possible))
    • Some kind of way to inject data to this system outside 3d Texture to allow for something like particle system emitting fog volumes or creating gameplay effects using this.

3. PutridEx

PutridEx

This is really important, right now I make it up with an asset but the difference of HDRP is that things this important should be built into it. It's not built-in.

For example unreal has this, start and end distance for fog. Maybe a seperate component called height fog.
    Without this, many popular unreal games would look HORRIBLE.

Squad, Satisfactory, and many more. It's really important.

Similar to what this asset offers: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...timized-fog-for-consoles-mobile-and-vr-143825

But this isn't specially built for HDRP, and obviously it's not from unity. This is such a massive thing for open world games, i'm really surprised it's not already added.

Game called squad. That fog uses start and end. You can't just a volume on it, it's a part of the game. You don't want fog near the player at all, you want it far in the distance.

The current way of handling fog can't do this. It's important for open world games.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Ruchir likes this.
  4. boyaregames

boyaregames

Today i faced this problem.
    Did unity bring this feature?
    Cuz i cant find the solution even on 2023.1

5. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

yeah, being able to do some sort of distant fog would be really great