Search Unity

Start a Timeline from a Timeline?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by FiveFingerStudios, Jun 26, 2018.

1. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

How can I start a timeline from within another timeline?

I'm currently activating a gameobject with a custom script that sends a UnityEvent to activate the other timeline, but I know this can't be the recommended way to do this.

How is it done?

2. KennyGuillaume

KennyGuillaume

Hi,

You can do this by using a control track on your timeline. On this track you can create a Control Playable Asset Clip, which references to another playable director.

Hope this helps

diekeure likes this.
  3. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Ahh..thanks!...I'll try that

4. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I got that to work...I think the issue for me is that I can't seem to find any documentation or videos on how to use Control tracks or some of the other specialized type tracks.

Would be cool to see more Unity videos that showed them being used in simple use cases.

One of the issues I had is (and this drove me nuts for a little while), that depending on the animation I put into the timeline and added that timeline to another timeline, it wouldn't show in preview mode. So I thought it wasn't working...but I just needed to test it in play mode (and it worked). Seems a bit inconsistent.

5. KennyGuillaume

KennyGuillaume

Ah yes, indeed. I guess you're right, don't think it previews at this moment.

6. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Also, I just noticed that if the whole Timeline that is placed in another Timeline isn't stretched out so that it plays in full, its possible it may play the end parts at a later time.