Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join us on Thursday, September 29, for a day with Unity's SRP teams here on the forum or on Reddit, and discuss topics around URP, HDRP, and the Scriptable Render Pipeline in general.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard Unity Event appearing on Dashboard under Custom Events

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by AntLewis, Oct 26, 2020.

1. AntLewis

AntLewis

Hey there, a couple of questions about standard events which I feel are being treated as custom events by Unity. Here's a couple of standard events I'm sending:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void ReportExitGame()
    2.     {
    3.         AnalyticsResult result = AnalyticsEvent.LevelQuit(0);
    4.         DebugUtilities.LogFormat(false, "[ANALYTICS] LevelQuit {0} at {1}", result.ToString(), Time.time.ToString());
    5.     }
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void ReportSceneVisited(string sceneName, float timeInScene)
    2.     {
    3.         AnalyticsResult result = AnalyticsEvent.ScreenVisit(sceneName, new Dictionary<string, object>
    4.          {
    5.            { "time_in_scene", timeInScene }
    6.           });
    7.         DebugUtilities.LogFormat(false, "[ANALYTICS] ScreenVisit {0} at {1}. Sent Parameter {2} and duration in scene {3}", result.ToString(), Time.time.ToString(), sceneName, timeInScene);
    8.     }
    1. These events are appearing on the Dashboard / Event Manager as custom events - is this expected behaviour?
    2. I can only view them via the custom events graph on Data Explorer (rather than standard events which I can view by adding a 'metric' view) so it does seem like Unity is treating these as custom events. Any idea why - is it perhaps because I'm sending time in scene as a parameter?

Thanks for any assists!
    Ant

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

@AntLewis That is expected behavior, Standard Events is just a convenience wrapper for Custom Events.

3. AntLewis

AntLewis

Ok thanks @JeffDUnity3D. Follow up question to this - so all the events I'm sending through are reporting 'ok' with regard to the analytics result, but there a couple of issues:

1. There are a couple of events (such as AnalyticsEvent.ScreenVisit event above) that isn't showing any data on the dashboard (I can select the event from the dropdwon as a custome event)
    2. Some events have stopped registering data from a few days ago (despite having data prior).

What's the likely cause of these issues? What should I check?
    Cheers!

unityunity