Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard shader with vertex colors

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by defaxer, Apr 5, 2015.

1. defaxer

defaxer

Hello, everyone!
    I needed to use vertex colors in materials for my current project, with flexibility of Unity 5 standard shader.
    So here it is in action: Standard shader modified to support vertex colors of your models.
    Latest version (0.91) with additive pass (multiple lights supported)
    Version for Unity 5.4.0 (0.92) with vertex alpha in shadows support

vertex color intensity support

vertex alpha in shadows support

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    kiber_, mrBeam, Rozurabu and 22 others like this.
  2. Boredman1234

Boredman1234

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. defaxer

defaxer

You are welcome to use it any way you want

4. Boredman1234

Boredman1234

Awesome! Thanks again.

5. Botanika

Botanika

Thank you very much !

6. defaxer

defaxer

Hi everyone!
    Here is an updated version with vertex color intensity and vertex color automatic disabling (just standard shader style)

Attached Files:

yramfos and luminance like this.
  7. luminance

luminance

This is exactly what I was just looking for to work with sprites. Thanks so much!

8. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Any ideas on adding per vertex fading like the fade rendering mode but controlled by the vertex alpha? I can't figure out where in the shader the SurfaceOutput alpha is being set.

9. defaxer

defaxer

It's not a surface shader, thats why it has no SurfaceOutput. I've modified shader to support transparency, but I need to figure out proper shadow rendering for transparent areas. And for some reason vertex alpha is not working with Cutout rendering mode.

Attached Files:

Silly_Rollo likes this.
  10. thejeef

thejeef

So, I'm pretty new to custom shaders and very new to vertex colors. I'm wondering if someone can explain what I may be doing wrong here? I'm modelling in 3DS Max and exporting an FBX with a Vertex Color Map to use in Unity 5.
    When I import the model into Unity and apply the vertex color shader, the colors are all smeared instead of clean. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Capture.PNG Capture2.png

11. defaxer

defaxer

In Max you need to detach faces with different colors to separate elements (Note: elements not objects).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Thanks for this. I'll play around with it and see if I can figure out the shadows issue.

13. plolley

plolley

Thanks for this shader, it's working great for me in the Unity player. The transparency doesn't seem to be working on Android. Can you think of any reason why?

14. thejeef

thejeef

Oh man thank you so much for helping me figure this out!

15. defaxer

defaxer

I'm not sure and I don't have decent device to test it right now.

16. IsGreen

IsGreen

About this question: Combine Lights and Clamp intesity.

I thought of using a vertex color shader to create ambient light on the object, and change color, clamp intensity through its vertex color.

Would it be possible with this shader? I tried the following code does not work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class VertexColor : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public Color color;
    8.     void Start () {
    10.         Mesh mesh = Instantiate<Mesh>(GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh);
    11.         for(int i=0;i<mesh.colors.Length;i++) mesh.colors[i] = color;
    12.         GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh = mesh;
    14.     }
    16. }
    Another question, other usage could be creating fog of war, but would need to be transparent shader. This would be possible?

Thanks.

17. defaxer

defaxer

Use vertex color modification like that:

Code (CSharp):
    2. void Start(){
    3.         Mesh mesh = Instantiate<Mesh>(GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh);
    4.         Color[] colors = mesh.colors;
    5.         for (int i = 0; i < colors.Length; i++)
    6.             colors[i] = color;
    7.         mesh.colors = colors;
    8.         GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh = mesh;
    9.     }
    Yes it can be transparent

18. IsGreen

IsGreen

No I get it to work on my computer.

Does not change the color.

Only change the intensity, if Vertex Color factor is modified in the material.

Adding this test project, if the problem is not the script (I have installed Unity 5.0.1f1 Personal Edition, the graphics card is something old, Nvidia GeForce 9500GS)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  19. defaxer

defaxer

That's because unity primitives don't have vertex colors by default (uninitialized arrays) so you first need to create it.
    Note that if you use imported model with vertex colors this script will overwrite those colors.

Attached Files:

20. IsGreen

IsGreen

Yes, that was the problem.

21. Julinoleum

Julinoleum

I was hoping it would work on iOS but it didnt when I tried. Is it normal?

22. defaxer

defaxer

I'm not sure, but it seems to me you device does not support Shader Model 3.0.
    It turns out shader isn't working with SM 2.

23. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Thanks a Lot defaxer, grab this package and try it out with your shader and you will get amazing results! I really wanna be greedy and keep this to myself but its not the right thing to do :

Vertexdirt: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21015

It allows AO baking to vertex colors WHILE using the GI in Unity allowing for perhaps the most fastest performance possible and since it bakes AO to vertex colors it will perform better on mobile devices compared to lightmaps i believe.

This is an example of it. Its amazing!

Attached Files:

24. ZJP

ZJP

Nice. Bookmarked :cool:

25. MingJ

MingJ

Hi !

First thing: good work, it helped me a lot.
    There's something I want to ask you: where does your 'UnityVC.cginc' file come from? Did you write it all or just modified an existent script?
    I'd like to know the best way to merge a custom shader into the Standard shader, like you did, but I'm new to shaders and I couldn't find the link between your file and the originals.

If you could help me to understand it better I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

26. defaxer

defaxer

"UnityVC.cginc" is a file which includes all structs and functions that "StandardVC.shader" uses.
    UnityVC based on UnityStandardInput.cginc file, I've modified it to support vertex colors.

AFAIK you can replace standart shader with you own version if its name is "Standard" and file is in "Resources" folder. I know people are replacing terrain shaders that way

27. MingJ

MingJ

Thanks, good to know!

Good job again on this shader.

28. elamhut

elamhut

Hello!

Thank you for the shader! I'm super happy I've found a Vertex Color shader but I'm sad that I'm not able to make it work.

When using unity 4 we used to have greyscale textures that we colored using Vertex Colored Multiplied on top of the Difuse, I tried just applying your shader on top of the texture but it's not showing any result here, could you give me a hand?

I'm using 5.0.2f1

(The wall in the back its what's selected) http://puu.sh/hZzC6/74a7ef84a7.jpg

29. defaxer

defaxer

Are you using Dx9 or Dx11? Shader currently does not work with Shader model 2.0 Maybe this is the case?

30. elamhut

elamhut

Even when in DX11 mode it doesn't work, what's the latest version of the Shader I should download? Maybe I got it wrong?

Just to check I went to maya and all vertex colors are there, but still not in untiy

31. defaxer

defaxer

In the first post updated version link is the one you need, note that intensity must be greater than zero. Also there is a "debug sphere" in a package use it to check if vertex color is working

32. defaxer

defaxer

Hello, everyone! Just added Standard(Specular) shader version for you to try. Included an example scene (to see if shaders are working for you), which must look like a picture below.
    ExampleScene.png

Attached Files:

33. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I've noticed it doesn't work with deferred rendering. I haven't tried it out in a build yet but in the editor DX11 deferred anything with either shader renders as grey with no color. Forward it works fine. Anyone else get that?

34. defaxer

defaxer

Yeah, It's was not correctly blending (if you have textures applied to your material) in deferred rendering, I've fixed it but with kind of tricky solution. To make it correct way I have to rewrite standard shader almost entirely :(
    Anyway if everything goes well, I will update it next week with that deferred fix, SM2.0 support and shadows with vertex alpha.

35. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

This looks so great, but I need deferred support too... thank you sooooo much! :)

36. defaxer

defaxer

Ok, here is a new updated version with deferred fix and SM 2.0 working (on my machine at least)
    VC_deferred_fix.png

Attached Files:

Malbers, rocket5tim and DrewMedina like this.
  37. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

THANKS!! that is so very cool of you. trying it tonight...

38. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

It works perfectly... Thank you so much! :D

39. the_lemur

the_lemur

This is very useful. I don't have the time or energy right now to learn the mechanics of ShaderLab.

40. shapeupstudio

shapeupstudio

Hi defaxer,
    Thanx for this shader... I am 3d artist and right now m R&D on one of my project using your VC shader. I am facing one issue that when I open my project in 32bit unity 5 then shader dose not calculate VC. Its working awesome in 64bt unity 5.. its 32 bit issue or any other setting i have to change.

41. defaxer

defaxer

I need to take a look, never actually tried it on 32bits
    Update: Just installed Unity 5.1.2 32bit and shader is working fine, no errors

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  42. shapeupstudio

shapeupstudio

ok thanx defaxer,
    I have to check other options.. because when i move my project to other pc.. like 32bit. its turn to white. Do you have any idea about any setting where I have to check?

43. defaxer

defaxer

Are there any messages in console? How inspector looks like when shader is selected? any errors?

44. shapeupstudio

shapeupstudio

Hay defaxer,
    I get the point where that issue come from.. ur shader is based one GPU so that if I open that project in on graphics card pc then its turn in to white. even I test that shader in different mobile also. Its work perfect in OPO and nexus but its turn white in android one and lower device.

45. defaxer

defaxer

I have not tested it on mobile devices, so it's not predictable there, and I don't think it will be working on lowest devices Unity supports. On PC I didn't test it on 32bit systems, but i don't think the problem is bits, mo likely it's a GPU problem.

46. massimoatcatnicdotit

massimoatcatnicdotit

Incredibly helpful shader! thanks a lot.
    Two questions:

1) What's the use of "vertex color" in the standard specular (vertex color) shader? I have tried to change it's value but I cannot see any noticeable effect
    2) Any plan to support a "strength" parameter? 0 means no vertex color, 1 means full vertex color, any value in between 0,1 means a weighted blend.

Thank you a lot!

47. defaxer

defaxer

Hey thanks for pointing that out. Actually, Vertex Color parameter does almost exactly what you say, but for some reason it does not work. I'll fix that

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  48. crudeMe

crudeMe

Hi, defaxer!

Thx for this shader! But it seems I cant tame it.
    I set the material color to white and setting vertex color to any other. Material seems dim comparing to standard non-vertex shader of the same color. I'm using linear forward.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong?

49. defaxer

defaxer

diffuse color and vertex color in this shader behave a little bit different. So you can't mimic diffuse color with vertex color.

50. crudeMe

crudeMe

Bummer! In u4 we've used same material for lots of objects, colouring them with verticies. Thanks for answer anyway!)