Search Unity

Standard Shader Vs Mobile Diffuse Shader

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by siddharth3322, Mar 26, 2019.

1. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

As per current mobile devices configuration which shader is better to use? I am losing framerates as per my current gameplay setup so I am thinking and applying different approaches to get better performance in the game.

So in this process, one thing I noticed that all models by default using Standard shaders and I was using them to run on mobile devices.

circuit_road_standard_shader.png

Like this way, I got all models with by default materials and standard shader attached. Each scene contains so many low poly models those in the combine generate a stadium, city streets and mountain environments.

At present, I was getting 30 FPS around on multiple android devices. Whether shader will create any improvement, if I switch to Mobile diffuse shader?

Here is game profile data:
    car_game_profiler_data.png

Please give me some suggestion on this so I can improve game performance.

2. bgolus

bgolus

You're looking at CPU times. What shader you use will have little impact on the CPU times since they run on the GPU, unless the CPU times are spiking because it's waiting on the GPU. Look at the profiler to see if Gfx.WaitForPresent is at the top. If so, a shader change might help, or you might just be rendering too much stuff, which a shader change won't help too much with.

siddharth3322 likes this.
  3. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Above profile data get generated using this environment rendering.
    car_game_city_env.png

Still, 10 low poly cars were moving on the track, one controlled by a human player and other driven by AI.
    This kind of detailing exists in cars 3d models.

car_detailing.png

Please provide me more information so I can improve game performance.
    At present, all 3d objects have default shader and material applied when I imported within the Unity game engine.

4. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Also, I am not sure, whether its number of polygons that affecting the performance or shader !!
    So I have above attached my car overall polygons details and environment layout.
    Total 3 different environments, I have in the game but it's mostly of the same type.

5. bgolus

bgolus

Poly count will, for the most part, not be a factor here regarding CPU time usage while rendering. A mesh with 65k triangles takes the CPU just as long as a mesh with 2 as it is just telling the GPU which already uploaded mesh to use. Again, look at the profiler to see what is taking time.

In the profiler screenshot you posted the render thread is spinning on "Gfx.WaitForCommands". That means the CPU is doing something, which is stalling everything else. Could be garbage collection, could be you've got some massively inefficient gameplay code that occasionally spikes, could even be the OS itself is stealing CPU cycles on something unrelated and making your timings look terrible, no idea what, but the rendering side feels like a red herring.

6. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

So as per your suggestion, shaders and number polygons are not an issue for me.
    Something running other in code or any other kind of effects related things - that is causing a performance problem for the game. Am I right?

I have 3 environments for gameplay and I have setup them as a prefab to load during every gameplay, rather than using 3 different scenes within the game. I have kept a single scene and loaded different game environments using their prefab. Also, all 10 cars having their skid effect, their smoke particles and their collision blinking animation too.
    What do you think? these impact in game performance...

7. bgolus

bgolus

No idea. Look at the profiler.

8. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I don't know what is meaning of profiler data!!
    Which thing is pointing towards which issue...

9. bgolus

bgolus

Change the bottom window from timeline to heirarchical, sort by time, look at what's taking the most time, search on Google.

10. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Yes thank you for giving me the guidance :)

SeanSmith01 likes this.
  11. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

@bgolus
    Updating renderer bounding volumes taking too much time so what is the cause behind this?
    I can't able to sort out the meaning of this!!

update_renderer_bounding_volumes.png

Another Canvas Build Batch is showing so many big spikes:
    canvas_build_batch.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. bgolus

bgolus

Crazy high spikes like that in otherwise consistent processes without anything obvious happening elsewhere (like spawning a few thousand objects for one frame) likely means something on your PC completely unrelated to Unity is causing the problem. Could be hardware, could be software, no idea. My off the cuff guess is your RAM or power supply is dying

13. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

But I am using iMac with i5 processor, 12GB of RAM and 1 GB graphics card and 512GB SSD installed.
    So I don't think, external things can generate a problem for me.

By reading above statistics, can you give me idea about the problem?

14. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

15. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

16. juelzsantana123

juelzsantana123

Mark objects static and bake light. Realtime light may cause drop performance. So you have 2 direct light in your scene.