Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[Standard Shader] Specularity Bug or Feature?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by remoteplayfreak, Nov 3, 2014.

1. remoteplayfreak

remoteplayfreak

Hey Guys,

I'm running 5.0.0b11 and I don't have a lot of experience with PBR, so I'm not sure about this, but when I create a new scene in a completely empty project, add a plane primitive and scale it up to 10x10 and give it a material that's not fully white (RGB 180, 180, 180) with no specularity (RGB 0, 0, 0, also tried a completely black map) and set that to static so it gets affected by Dynamic GI, it still shows specular behavior. If I look at it from a very low angle and in the direction that the light is also pointing (see screenshot), the plane fades into completely white like it would if it was set up to have specularity.

(Looking in the same direction the light is facing)

(Looking in the opposite direction)

(Material)

Is this by design (Fresnel maybe?), or should I submit a bug report?
    If it's a feature, how can I get rid of it? I'm looking to achieve a greyish material with no specularity at all.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
    remoteplayfreak

2. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Does look like Fresnel to me.
    Do you need this to be a PBR material? Maybe you should just change this to Unlit or other simpler shaders?

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah to me it doesn't look like "specularity"; it looks like Fresnel ("Fresnel effect" is the fact that all surfaces start to be reflective when looked at grazing angles).

Also at 2:14
    ;)

Zomby138, Devil_Inside and Mauri like this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri

Dat video :D

5. remoteplayfreak

remoteplayfreak

Thanks for the answers guys,

@Aras is there a way to turn down Fresnel for the Standard shader? Because I still want to use dynamic GI, but the Fresnel is kind of disturbing in my setup.

@Devil_Inside I would, but I want to use Dynamic GI, so it looks like I have to use the Standard shader.

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Why? Dynamic GI works with legacy shaders too, and with custom shaders.

7. remoteplayfreak

remoteplayfreak

Really? Wow, Nice! When I switched to a legacy shader yesterday it seemed like the GI just went away alltogether, maybe I just overlooked the progress bar in the lower right corner. I'll try that as soon as i get home!

8. remoteplayfreak

remoteplayfreak

I just tried switching to the legacy diffuse shader; any idea why it's so heavily influenced by the Sykbox's tint?

(Left: Standard shader, Right: Legacy diffuse)