Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard shader confusion

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Brenden-Frank, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Hey guys,

I'm confused about specular with the standard shader. If I enable default reflection in the rendersettings I get a "fresnel" effect on all my objects. I can curtail this by reducing the specular color and limiting smoothness. When I add a specular map however, it doesn't seem to matter how dark the spec map is, it gets full blown fresnel.

The smoothness slider is gone and as is the spec color; I'm assuming because the map should naturally be able to cover what those parameters do anyways but a black texture is not giving me the same result as a black specular color. Anyone encoutnered this or have any suggestions on how I'm going about this?

Thanks,

Brenden

2. one_one

one_one

If you assigned a specular map, you automatically assign a smoothness map as the specular map's alpha channel. So, if you want only rough materials, make the alpha channel of your spec map black.

3. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Thanks that clears up a lot. There's still quite a bit of issues if a cubemap is set for default reflectivity though. The shader seems to ignore the specmap and make the object "glow"; any thoughts on that?

4. one_one

one_one

Can you attach a picture of your issue? I can't really follow your description.

5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

i think it's better if you wait for beta 13, it has a lot of changes regarding shaders and contains a metallic workflow too

6. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

7. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Your specular looks like it's too high (which makes the material look like metal). Set it to like a 4% grayscale fill.
    You also should read up on Physically Based Shading, particularly the articles on the Marmoset website.

Here's a couple of key concepts:
    • Everything is shiny.
    • Everything has fresnel.
    • If the diffuse is bright, the specular is not. Conversely, if the specular is bright, the diffuse is not. (diffuse and specular added together should never be more than 1.0)

8. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Those bluish parts? I'm not sure that's fresnel. If it's actually fresnel, try setting your smoothness to a darker value.

10. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

11. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So those "lit" parts, is that cubemap reflection? If that's the case you need to re-work your specular maps.

EDIT: And by "rework" I mean pretty much just flood fill 4% grayscale. That's at least a good starting point for almost any non-metal surface, and almost all variation should be in the smoothness rather than the specular color.

12. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

When I flood it that dark then I get no specular pretty much at all. If I make the roughness anything but near black I get the crazy fresnel effect as shown above.

13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yeah, that looks really weird. Make sure your normal map is set as normal map in the import settings.

14. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

In fact, try removing the normal map altogether just to eliminate that as a factor.

15. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

16. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Try placing a reflection probe right in front of that rock. Maybe it's the bluish color that makes it look so weird, and if it starts reflecting the actual environment around it, it will look better?

17. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

That certainly tones down the shadowed areas but the larger problem remains that there's nearly no specular on the lit portions of the object.

18. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

19. p87

p87

better yet just post the rock and your textures...

20. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Reflection intensity --added in beta 13 was the solution to my problem. Thanks for all your help guys!