Search Unity

Standard assets use in assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Warrgames, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Warrgames

Warrgames

Hi
    So I read that standard assets cannot be used in an asset package but I have seen plenty with unity water trees grass etc used in demo scenes on the store?
    So whats the ruling here?Is it ok to use some standard asset parts and not others?

2. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

HI @Warrgames, scripts may not be suitable because of unity versions, however trees, grass, models should't be problem.

3. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Warrgames - if you're going to include any of the Standard Assets files, the best practice is probably to Duplicate all of the files/folders from within the Unity Editor and move the duplicates under your own folder structure. This way the GUIDs of each file won't be in conflict with what a user has installed under Standard Assets

If you need to include a script file from SA, duplicate the files to avoid the GUID conflict and then edit the scripts to put them in your own namespace. This will make it less likely to have compilation errors on import.

4. Warrgames

Warrgames

Here is why I ask

Symptoms

• I have made an asset to submit to the Asset Store. I have used a Unity Standard Asset within this.
    • My asset/project uses Unity Standard Assets. I would like to know if I am breaking the Asset Store Provider Agreement by doing this.
    Causes

Unity Standard Assets are intended for educational purposes while you are learning to use Unity. They are freely accessible to all Unity users, but not to be used within asset submissions of your own.

Resolution

You are allowed to use Unity Standard Assets within your own games and projects.

You are not however, allowed to redistribute any Unity Standard Assets as an asset package, or with very little changes made. You cannot resell it or identically duplicate it. This is restricted - a form of piracy and your asset submission will not be accepted to the Unity Asset Store.