Search Unity

Standard assets causing compiler errors

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sirbossman, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Sirbossman

Sirbossman

So I'm quite new to unity and am trying to learn the basics. Im watching this tutorial and they have me download standard assets for something. But every time I import standard assets to my project it causes many errors. I have searched for a fix for this, but can't find any solid fix. Can anyone help me? Heres some info I can give. My project is brand new and haven't imported anything yet, but standard assets. Right when they are done importing I get 29 errors. I will provide screenshots if possible.

2. Sirbossman

Sirbossman

3. Sirbossman

Sirbossman

Oh and im running on 2019.4

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Standard Assets are no longer supported. The red ones in the console are errors, and the yellow ones are warnings by the way. The error at the top is because the legacy GUIText was removed from Unity a few months back, but it is still used in Standard Assets. If the tutorial you're following doesn't use the script with the error, you can probably just delete that script. Otherwise switching from GUIText to UI.Text might be more than a novice should take on, since they are setup a bit differently from each other.

But what I'd really recommend is to take a look at the tutorial and see if they recommend a specific Unity version, or to install a version from around the time the tutorial came out. In the last couple years there's been a bunch of changes to certain workflows in Unity, so you may have trouble following a which isn't updated while using 2019.4. You can have installed multiple versions of Unity using the Hub.

Sirbossman likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

6. Sirbossman

Sirbossman