Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Standard Assets 2018 - let us know what you think!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willgoldstone, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Fenixake

Fenixake

This proves that the devs are lazy af when it comes to making quality stuff =))

2. aadil50

aadil50

Hence Proved Developers are laziest in this world to reply on a post 2 years Old..

3. Gadgetized

Gadgetized

I am very appreciative of Unity related to the renewal made by her

4. RNGDevelopers

RNGDevelopers

Definitely you need to improve the dual touch controller prefab.it's garbage right now.

Fenixake likes this.
  5. Lorash

Lorash

It's 2020, why is this thread still stickied?

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Because the standard assets 2018 have not been released yet...

KeithCal and Metron like this.
  7. Lorash

Lorash

Excellent!

8. ina

ina

Hmm will it be Standard Assets 2020 then?

9. Jamesarndt2018

Jamesarndt2018

So back in December 2019 the announcement was that the Learn Team has taken over production of the Standard Assets and that meaningful work would kick off at the new year. We're well into 2020 and I've not seen any updates on what direction or work is happening with the Standard Assets.

KeithCal likes this.
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Given the quality of the Learn section, I'm not sure I want to know what the standard assets would look like in the Learn Team's hands.

Jamesarndt2018, Lorash and Fenixake like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just going to repeat here what I already said in two other threads. I was able to load the current Standard Assets pack into Unity 2019.3, and everything aside from the Car scene worked correctly. There were warnings and errors but the only ones that prevented play mode were in the Car scene.

Correcting the Car scene is basically a case of adding a UI Text (or TMPro) component to the scene, modifying the scripts to work with that instead of with the GUIText that they want, and then adding a reference to the Inspector. Once I have time I'll modify this post showing the required steps and corrected code.

Edit: Corrected code is in the spoilers below. Experimentation (Unity 2019.3 and 2017.4) revealed that there was no need to fix anything on the objects in the Inspector so there are no required steps beyond replacing the code. Any remaining errors can be ignored. They're just messages that the editor had to modify the meshes in the scene.

Code (csharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    4. using UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput;
    6. //[RequireComponent(typeof (GUITexture))]
    7. public class ForcedReset : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     private void Update()
    10.     {
    11.         // if we have forced a reset ...
    12.         if (CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButtonDown("ResetObject"))
    13.         {
    14.             //... reload the scene
    15.             SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetSceneAt(0).name);
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }

Code (csharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.UI;
    5. namespace UnityStandardAssets.Utility
    6. {
    7.     public class SimpleActivatorMenu : MonoBehaviour
    8.     {
    9.         // An incredibly simple menu which, when given references
    10.         // to gameobjects in the scene
    11.         //public GUIText camSwitchButton;
    12.         public Text camSwitchButton;
    13.         public GameObject[] objects;
    16.         private int m_CurrentActiveObject;
    19.         private void OnEnable()
    20.         {
    21.             // active object starts from first in array
    22.             m_CurrentActiveObject = 0;
    23.             camSwitchButton.text = objects[m_CurrentActiveObject].name;
    24.         }
    27.         public void NextCamera()
    28.         {
    29.             int nextactiveobject = m_CurrentActiveObject + 1 >= objects.Length ? 0 : m_CurrentActiveObject + 1;
    31.             for (int i = 0; i < objects.Length; i++)
    32.             {
    33.                 objects[i].SetActive(i == nextactiveobject);
    34.             }
    36.             m_CurrentActiveObject = nextactiveobject;
    37.             camSwitchButton.text = objects[m_CurrentActiveObject].name;
    38.         }
    39.     }
    40. }

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  12. hassancortex

hassancortex

Thank you. This worked perfect.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Has anyone heard from Unity about the Standard Assets since we got an update last year? I returned here hoping to see all kinds of improvements and updates, complete with videos and images but there's nothing new. Three months of no update on what's been accomplished, improved on, or at least a road-map for 2020. How do we go about getting better communication on these "official" things, Discord or?

@peteorstrike @willgoldstone Anything to update on in regard to the new Standard Assets?

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Making old standard assets work does not fundamentally help solve the problem where the old standard assets are not great, even for prototyping.

JamesArndt likes this.
  15. Fenixake

Fenixake

The post processing stack v2 was in preview for 3 years, what else do you expect from them?.All what is unity today is thanks to the asset developers from the assetstore and nothing more.:cool::D:eek:o_O

16. eTech3D

eTech3D

I hope we will see "Unity Templates" in 2020

KeithCal and JamesArndt like this.
  17. racoon_citizen

racoon_citizen

Hello guys, this is my first day in unity. I have just started following a tutorial about creating a survival horror game.
    For the guys that can't add an fps controller in unity 2019, you must follow these steps:

1) Download and install the following standard (deprecated) assets:
    http://download.unity3d.com/downloa...82.1363260497.1585477476-657908197.1585477476

2) Import a custom package, and search for the previous installation path, e.g. C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.7f1\Editor\Standard Assets\Characters.unitypackage.

3) After the import, you can't build your project anymore, because a few lines of code are incompatible with the new unity version, don't worry, it's extremely easy to fix it.
    • Examine the errors on the bottom on the screen.
    • Open the corresponding files and replace the deprecated objects with the objects 'Text' and 'Image'. Don't forget to add 'using UnityEngine.UI;' on the top of those 2 files.
    • Build and run.
    • You're done.
    4) You'll still see some errors, but you can make them disappear, too! (if you have a little patience) ** NOT REQUIRED
    • Examine each one, and double click so as to open the corresponding file.
    • Most of the errors exist because of the abscence of a default value on the local variables. Just put a default value, it's straight forward.
    • In case of some deprecated objects, or enum values, just delete or comment the lines.
    • That's it!
    I hope i will help someone with this info!

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

I see this thread has been unpinned. Does not bode well for the standard assets situation.

Fenixake and Lorash like this.
  19. bsimser

bsimser

I *really* wish they would just post the package up on GitHub and accept PRs to fix this crap. I've had to fix this so many times I just made my own version (which of course I can't post because, reasons) to use in 2019.

Simple fix Unity, post the project on GitHub and start accepting pull requests with the fixes so we can use this in the latest version of the engine.

I don't understand why this is so hard.

Liewliewliew and Lorash like this.
  20. Tomlinsky

Tomlinsky

Top man! By replacing the two scripts as described and deleting the 'Cars' folder in 'Vehicles this seems to be working fine in 2019.3.11f1. Many thanks, much appreciated.

21. RyGuyCoder

RyGuyCoder

Thank you Ryiah so so much! Works now!

22. Lorash

Lorash

They've recently closed every issue on GitHub and going all-in on it being a code dump only.

23. Charles-Brant

Charles-Brant

I like them. But I do not use them. If I need something i find it easier to search for name of that in asset store. E.g. Id just search for low poly package and would find it quickly.

I find that Standard Assets are harder to navigate through and find desired thing.

24. KeithCal

KeithCal

All I need to use, at the moment, is the First Person Controller; that's it. Can't even use that. When are they going to make this a priority? I don't get it. I only imported the FPC, and still a no-go. Not a coder here, in any way; just an artist trying to be able to wander around a scene that I put together.

25. Lorash

Lorash

If you only want to walk around in your scene this is your best bet.

You shouldn't need to be looking up tutorials for something this basic but given the present circumstances with Unity this is about as good as it gets. You could also buy a character controller asset.

soleron and KeithCal like this.
  26. KeithCal

KeithCal

Appreciate it. All I'm doing, presently, is creating a small scene in Unity that uses most standard Post Processing Effects and Lighting that is found in games today. After creating this little slice, I intend on using it to place some assets I want to create myself...so that I can match my textures and geometry to the scene (basically making sure my work is up to snuff). If the people at Unity aren't looking at making this relatively easy for an artist to do, I had thought about having a look at Unreal instead.

27. Lorash

Lorash

With Unreal this is as simple as selecting Games->First Person when you create a new project.

28. soleron

soleron

I feel you.
    That is why a lot of artists use Unreal.
    Not only it looks great from day 1 but also has a standard system for FPS and 3PS and you do not need a programmer for any of these there is no need to use blueprints either. It's just there. Same applies for VR which has teleport working with just drag and drop.

In Unreal they know what their users need and care about delivering it. Unity has become shortsighted, arrogant and complacent.

Grab this one.
    Many thanks to @AedanCGraves you are a lifesaver man.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/input-management/first-person-all-in-one-135316

AedanCGraves and Fenixake like this.
  29. Lorash

Lorash

Literally the first time I've ever heard of there being a free 1st person controller for Unity. There's a HUGE discoverability problem here, plus since these are unofficial assets, the user base gets fragmented - some people use this, some roll their own, some use KCC, or Invector's, or Opsive's, and probably a zillion others, meanwhile UE4 has one official system for controlling your characters and even though that will certainly get customized and extended to some degree in a real game, everybody's on the same page if you talk about the standard character controller (and that doesn't even get to the fact that UE4's character controller has a whole bunch of features and Unity's built-in one is just a glorified collider that you replace anyway because it has so many bugs).

soleron and Fenixake like this.
  30. AedanCGraves

AedanCGraves

I agree, but its also good to consider that UE has been around for a very long time (~1998 I think) and backed by company that's been in the industry for even longer. Not saying Unity should be given a free pass on the this kind of stuff - especially when it's this basic, but I think Unity's still playing catch-up.

Thanks btw! I really appreciate it! :D

31. Murgilod

Murgilod

UE4's controller is a complete rewrite of what it used to be and came out 5 years after Unity 2.0 did. At this point, Unity really should have a set of standard assets. Prototyping tools have always been Unity's weak point.

Fenixake likes this.
  32. AedanCGraves

AedanCGraves

Yes I agree, I'm just saying UE has an upper hand with in house asset development when it comes to funding, man power, and above all experience. So comparing UE4's development cycle to Unity's doesn't seem like a fair comparison. You're right though, anyone can code up some standard assets. Heck I did it, Unity should.

33. Murgilod

Murgilod

Honestly, these are the kind of things that do eventually see diminishing returns. Unity is not (nor has it been for some time) a small company, a scrappy little underdog, or anything like that for a long time now. We've seen Unity throw their weight around in their acquisitions both talent and entire company-wise, so saying that they simply don't have the manpower or resources otherwise simply doesn't scan for me at all. Epic Games has 1000+ employees, Unity Technologies has 2000+.

In 2018, Epic Games was valued at $8.5 billion and Unity Technologies was valued at $3 billion in 2020. These are both numbers so high as to be almost unfathomable in discussions of finance, but they can't manage to put that toward even basic prototyping assets?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to compare the two because Unity is still absolutely Big McLargehuge as far as things are concerned.

DauntlessVerbosity, Lorash and Ryiah like this.
  34. AedanCGraves

AedanCGraves

Haha, I was unaware of the numbers. I had assumed the opposite, I take it all back. If that's the case then I really can't think of why they haven't done some R&D on basic assets. Then again I don't run or even work for a multi-billion $ co.

35. neoshaman

neoshaman

meanwhile after they promise a mario 64 and botw level of controller...

36. Lorash

Lorash

As an end user making the decision to go with one or the other I either do not care about this because what affects me is how good they actually are today or think that the older one is probably more mature and go with that. Not helping the case.

However UE4 has very little in common with UE1 so if we're not comparing how good they actually are but instead do a "fair" comparison for the sake of feelings, then Unity launched in 2005 and UE4 launched in 2012. Not helping either.

unityunity