Search Unity

Standalone server solutions

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by separatio1, Jan 7, 2021.

1. separatio1

separatio1

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to find a solution to have an MMO standalone server created, for a GUI text based game.
    I've already seen UNet is deprecated, for example, and checked out uMMORPG asset.
    While the asset might fit for my needs, I wanted to ask the forum's opinion.

My technical background is in web development, for about 7 years now, hence my confusion when things didn't go smoothly when talking about servers. I also imagine that REST or GraphQL is not the defacto standard in the gaming industry, and TCP/UDP connections are generally used, with some networking tools.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions for standalone servers for Unity Multiplayer games?

Thank you in advance.

2. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

SmartFox has a java standalone server. Zapnet is excellent and uses a Unity instance servers.

g_a_p and separatio1 like this.
  3. separatio1

separatio1

Thanks! I will have a look sometime today.

4. luke-unity

luke-unity

separatio1 likes this.
  5. BetaMark

BetaMark

And just so you know it -- building a REST API client in Unity is pretty strait forward to get the basics done as I believe that all of the compile targets can talk http, and if you want an asset that covers a lot of the edge cases for client/server talking with a REST (or GraphQL) endpoints, there are some great options in the asset store.

I myself have tested Best HTTP/2 (currently on sale, btw) and WebAPI Kit.

With that said -- using an async stateless protocol like REST over HTTP only works for some game designs. I'd liked to know more about what your core game loop looks before I'd say whether you'd need something that is real time like the Mirrors, Photons, and MLAPIs of the world.

separatio1 likes this.
  6. Vancete

Vancete

separatio1 and BetaMark like this.
  7. separatio1

separatio1

Thank you, everyone, for your time and careful suggestions!

I feel that DarkRift2 is specifically suited towards my needs.
    I will definitely go use that, at the moment.

I'll also make sure to bookmark this thread for future reference, as there is a lot of useful information to be found here.

BetaMark likes this.