Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Multiplayer Standalone Relay Server?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Ladace, May 11, 2018.

1. Ladace

Ladace

I found a three-year-old post talking about it, and it seemed to have been on the roadmap. But now is this not happening at all?

Unity's relay service has a poor coverage and high latency, and it's basically unusable. It's such a pain for making P2P games and we might just have to give up relay service.

If standalone relay server is hard to publish for users to deploy, publicizing the relay protocol would be very helpful because we could write our own relay servers then.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

I am working on a third party relay for UNET. It seems like most Networking development died after UNET in Unity 5. Not much attention is given anymore to UNET, I wouldn't wait for it.

3. Ladace

Ladace

Great to hear! Will you make it open-source or just sell it? I'd love to buy, though I'll need a stable version pretty soon, like in 6 months. Open source could be great because everyone can contribute.

I just wonder how feasible it is. I think the relay code resides in the transport layer. Are you able to decode the packets to know their relay protocol? Or you are rewriting the entire transport layer?

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

It will be above the Transport, built using the NetworkTrasport. I love open source, probably the path I will take.

5. Ladace

Ladace

Ah right, I see. Awesome. I'll be following!

6. TwoTen

TwoTen

Just wanted to let you know that we have successfully written a relay for Unity. Written in C# using the Server lib. Works fine for us. We started development yesterday and have a functional prototype right now.
    Here is a gifv of the latency we achieved from running the relay on my friends machine who is ~550km away from me. He is hosting the relay and I'm hosting a server and a client.
    https://i.imgur.com/tWNAQWM.gifv

I will let you know when we have a ready product. As much as I LOVE open source, I think this is going to be my first paid product. I will get back to you, it will not be a large price as we want to feel the water. Nothing remotley close to the Unity Relay pricing and it will have no CCU or bandwidth limit. Just a smal amount per title.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  7. Ladace

Ladace

This looks great! I just hope the product is a standalone program that I can deploy myself so I'll be able to customize for my network environment and regions to support. Looking forward to it!

8. TwoTen

TwoTen

It's a .NET Core application. It runs on Windows, macOS and Linux. Regions is up to you.

9. TwoTen

TwoTen

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. Ladace

Ladace