Search Unity

Standalone player crash 2017.4 LTS

Discussion in 'Windows' started by StephanieRowlinson, Jul 11, 2019.

1. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

A customer of ours is consistently getting experiencing crashes that we can't reproduce in our QA department. The dumps all point to "GeometryJobTasks::ScheduleDynamicVBOGeometryJobs" being the issue, but that doesn't mean a lot to us.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I've attached a sample dump.

Attached Files:

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi, are you using Graphics Jobs?

3. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

No, we've double checked and it's turned off.

4. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

This is an issue we have seen in older versions/patches, but we don't have any open bugs about it that I know of. What exact 2017.4 LTS patch version are you on?

If you are able to submit a bug report about it, our QA may be able to assist in reproducing it. It is worth opening a ticket with the crash dump and repro steps as best as you know them, if at all possible.

EDIT: I can actually see 1 issue in our bug tracker that mentions a similar callstack, on 2017.4.27f1, but no public IssueTracker link yet as it is brand new.

5. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

2017.4.10, it's an older one so perhaps this is something that has already been fixed. We've had a few bad experiences with updates accidentally breaking some parts, so we tend to only patch if we've got an explicit reason to do so. We haven't seen anything about this issue, but as we're not sure what's causing it, could just have overlooked it.

Unfortunately we still have no reproduction steps, but I've reported the issue. Number is 1169678.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yeah that makes sense - your update philosophy sounds sensible to me - there's always risk when changing anything :)

Ok let's see what QA say. They might be able to find some older cases that were fixed in a newer patch release.

Thanks for reporting it - sorry it's proving difficult to diagnose so far!

StephanieRowlinson likes this.
  7. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

No problem, thanks for your help!

8. mesbeukman

mesbeukman

unfortunately this crash also seems to occur on 2018.4.0f1.
    So it's not only isolated to older versions.

Attached Files:

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Please update to the latest 2018.4.x LTS release and if the crash still occurs with that version, please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

10. mesbeukman

mesbeukman

Richard, do you know which Unity features already depend on the Graphics Jobs? Like Stephanie said, we don't have the experimental option enabled.

Peter, thanks for the heads up, buddy.

11. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

No features depend on it - it is entirely optional for (hopefully) better performance. But it is experimental and is known to cause problems in a few edge cases with geometry jobs in 2017.4.

If it's happening on 2018.4 too, that implies that you are now able to recreate this internally, and it's not just coming from customers on your released title? If that's the case, Peter's advice is the right way to go from here :)

Peter77 likes this.
  12. mesbeukman

mesbeukman

Thanks Richard. Unfortunately we don't have a proper repro case.
    We managed to trigger the crash in 2018.4 by automating our startup process with an external testrunner.
    We're still unable to find the actual cause. I was only able to determine that this crash is similar by examining the crash-dump.

It's still unclear to me how Graphics Jobs crash our system while being disabled in the player-settings, but we'll try to figure that out first.

13. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I think you misunderstand me :) Let me try to clarify..

* Enabling graphics jobs in 2017.4 is known to cause some crashes in rare edge cases eg with Dynamic VBO code.
    * Having Graphics Jobs disabled does not directly result in any crashes, anywhere in Unity.

I simply asked about Graphics Jobs in case it could have explained why you were seeing a crash in 2017.4. As you said they are disabled, the root cause of your crash must be something else unrelated. It's all just a guessing game until we can nail down a solid repro :)